[Realm Rush] Aliens & Castles

It has been a long time, but it’s finally done!
Here is my version of Realm Rush: Aliens & Castles.

It is a fine day in the realm, the sun shines, birds are chirping… but something looms on the horizon! What might it be? Before you know, alien spaceships are roaming the planes!! And they seem to want… to sell the royalty intergalactic encyclopedias?!
Well, that can’t be! King and Queen Rock are having their third dinner at the castle and don’t want to be disturbed, so take the command of the defenses of the city and drive those pesky aliens out!

Like everything, is a bit rough around the edges and the design definitely has room for improvement, but all in all I think it offers a solid experience.

Have fun!

7 Likes

Congratulations on your game :partying_face:

Thank you!! :smiley:

Hi, really nice game, you obviously put a lot of effort into it.

I’m not particularly fond of the enemies changing their route in the middle of a wave, it makes the game unpredictable and unfun, makes me feel like the game is punishing me for trying to be clever. Lastly, I didn’t enjoy those last enemies, they were able to outrange all of my towers and without me being able to prepare for that sort of attack, give the player the ability to replace towers or tone down those last aliens.

Your game is really cool, the art is fantastic, just needs some gameplay tweaks, but gather more feedback before doing anything, it might be that I’m just bad at your game :sweat_smile:

Wow what a great game, really had fun playing it. One thing that would be nice is to replace towers as I felt the crossbow towers became redundant near the final wave. Also couldn’t really tell what enemy was doing what in terms of which went for king/queen. Really like the theme, visuals and sound was spot on. There are a few things in your game that I wanted to add to mine but couldn’t work out how to implement at the time. How many hours did this take to make?

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! I’m happy you enjoyed the game.

One thing that would be nice is to replace towers as I felt the crossbow towers became redundant near the final wave.

I definitely had that in mind, as there are some down times where you feel like really changing towers would help. In the end I decided against it because of time constraints and instead balanced the game around enemies being able to destroy your towers easily so in the end you find yourself replacing them frequently. It definitely would have been worth including it, you’re not the only one who has mentioned it to me.

Also couldn’t really tell what enemy was doing what in terms of which went for king/queen.

I did this kind of subtly with a color scheme. The Queen’s castle has red rooftops so the enemies that go towards her castle also have red spheres on top of them, while the King’s castle is white and the enemies that go for it are white as well. I can see how in the middle of the action it can be easy to oversee, this approach might have been too subtle.

There are a few things in your game that I wanted to add to mine but couldn’t work out how to implement at the time.

Shoot! I’ll try to explain myself and help you implement stuff. I really enjoy talking about how I went on designing and the intricacies of my implementations.

How many hours did this take to make?

It’s kinda hard to say because I started a part-time job through developing this and in total took me around 3 months, but I think it took around 3-4 weeks of 40 hours per week combined time, including a bug fix with path finding that took me a hell of a time to fix. IT would actually be more like 3 weeks than 4.

In the end I decided against it because of time constraints and instead balanced the game around enemies being able to destroy your towers easily so in the end you find yourself replacing them frequently.

Maybe keep how it is as it was only one area they didn’t destroy the crossbow towers and have the enemies target the cheaper towers first. Just an Idea.

Shoot! I’ll try to explain myself and help you implement stuff. I really enjoy talking about how I went on designing and the intricacies of my implementations

Its was the UI, I wanted to do the toggle system for towers as I had 3 towers in my game. Also wanted to have my boss enemy destroy my towers. Think I know how to destroy the towers just didn’t have time.

The toggle system wasn’t really difficult to implement. The asset pack I used came with isometric sprites of the towers and the most difficult part was to have these sprites face the exact direction of the camera.

To spawn the previews I used the same code as for placing them. I’ll had an OnMouseEnter() in a script in the tiles themselves, and upon activation I would retrieve the coordinates and spawn the preview (I added a collider to the tiles for this purpose). I think I also used the isPlaceable bool to avoid spawning previews in tiles where you can’t place towers (or there was already a tower present). Lastly I also had an OnMouseExit() method that would deactivate the preview when the mouse left the tile.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms