Questions about install location

So I followed the new 2019 section one course and installed all the visual studio programs to my C drive. The problem is that this is a small but high speed drive, that’s really only there to start up the computer and run the basic local programs. For other things like steam games and mass storage I use several larger drives. I even have one that I specifically labeled for game design, and that is where I have unreal. After downloading the visual studio applications I realized i had not redirected their download to the game development drive. Now my boot drive is almost full.
I’ve since uninstalled while I look for answers and advice, installing didn’t take too long so I’m not worried about time. I’m mainly wondering what I should do if space is a concern. Should I reinstall it all to my Development drive, OR should I install it on the boot drive and just save any programs I write to a folder in the Development drive.
I also wanted to say that I’m very new to this, so if there is something I’m missing or a solution I didn’t mention, that’s most likely because I have no idea it exists.
Thanks in advance!

At home I don’t have it on my SSD boot drive either and it works just fine. I don’t see the point of keeping in on your boot drive if that means you’ll end up with a space problem, that’ll just slow down your boot drive as well.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Installing_UE4_To_A_Different_Hard_Drive#Steps_to_move_Unreal_Engine_to_a_Different_HDD

You can use this to move any specific version of Unreal to a different drive without having to move the entire launcher

Thanks for the advice! Also asked my friend who helped me build it and got the same advice from him.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms