Questions about Blender?

Hello,
I just started the Blender course and had a few questions about Blender and if they’ll be addressed later in the course.

1. What if all my objects are in the negative axis?!?! In one recent project, I began adding objects only to realize they were all in the negative z-axis. Is this a problem? if, so is there a simple way to fix it (maybe by rotating all the objects by 180 degrees?)
  2. I’ve noticed that some objects intersect with each other. Doesn’t this impact optimization since the computer has to render all the objects, even if they are inside other ones? Will this be fixed in later videos or do I need to accept that objects will be inside one another?
  3. Most of the things I’ve done so far have been approximated. Like putting one cube on top of another. Will this ever become more precise or is it more of “it looks like it’s touching, so it must be?”

Thanks so much!
Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Blender and I think other software package too, having mash optimization going on. managing faces invisible (intersecting), front , back-side, etc.
For gaming purposes low poly is the standard. Also optimization of your model, but a 3D engine will do a lot of optimization for you.

1. In EDIT mode, you can select all vertices and scale them on the Z-ax, using the scale factor -1. You probably need to reset your normals too. Z-ax and Y-ax coordinates are only important for exporting to Unity, or other game engines.

2. Depending on what you do. But intersecting mesh models isn’t that big problem (mostly).
    You could go for the option to merge models (JOIN) or use `BOOLEAN`` modifier. Both need probably manual adjustment. This depends also how your model mesh is done.

3. In this course you will learn tools to align (SNAP) vertices, edges or faces to each other (mathematical precision). Also how to optimize vertices op the same place etc (merging, etc).

Be patient, follow the course. Or find a tutorial or ask here.

Have fun, show us what you are creating!

Pieter

Thank @FedPete! Very helpful! Yes. In the end I hope to be able to export some blender files to Unreal so I’ll keep the z-axis trick in mind!

Now, I’ll get back to the course…
Thanks again,
Enrico

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms