Question

Is it normal to not 100% understand everything that is going on in these lectures? Should I complete it and then go back through the project videos, or just keep moving ahead?

2 Likes

It is normal to not understand everything 100% the first time you go through it. Depending on the person who learns the material of course.
You should go through it until you reach the level of understanding you wish to achieve.
It is expected that if you don’t know c++, you will not understand all the words on the screen and perhaps some details might not be obvious, but you should understand all the c++ Sam explains at least to the depth that it is explained in.
Some things like the delta time, I would assume that you can succeed without fully understanding the detail. but it is important what it is for- so what changes when you use it- so that it becomes framerate independent. Knowing that should be enough for many applications, but perhaps one day you will need to know more about it. This is an example where a more superficial understanding might be sufficient.
On the contrary, if things like accessing a struct variable are explained you need to understand this “fully” at least so that you can use it confidently.
Expertimenting with the code presented helps a lot!
Listen to it multiple times if neccessary or look it up on google / learncpp.com if you want to know more.
Also, I have seen many people go TOO FAST. This is not a rush and taking the time to understand will pay off in the long run!!

4 Likes

Thank you I was going too fast for sure finished first two projects in 2 days, going back through the 2nd one now really making sure I am understanding everything perfectly and experimenting. This is my dream and I now know you can’t “level up” per say, as in when I finish this I will magically level up and be a level 40 developer if that makes sense. This will take time and that’s fine! Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated and gives me confidence and hope!

2 Likes

yea going back sometimes is very helpful, and it should not feel bad to do so, after all you learn more this way. I think often people associate going back as decreasing your progress. but quite the contrary, it increases your knowledge/skills a lot if done correctly. Be confident in what you know but don’t feel afraid to go back sometimes.
I think your attitude is absolutely right to becoming succesful with it one day. Just stick to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

C++ is one of these languages where you can learn the basics fairly quickly but it will take years to become competent, and longer to master. I still find new exciting things after almost 30 years of using the language.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms