[QUESTION] Terrain vs. modular level design

@Rick_Davidson explained in the Creating terrain video that you can build up your level modular instead of using a terrain. I think in my case it is better to not use a terrain since it indeed looks very smoothed and organic.

The picture below shows an indication of how the level will be designed overall. I think I should use custom modelled planes and low poly rocks to create these platform looking cliffs. What would you guys recommend? Are there any other options or am I missing something?

1 Like

I think custom mesh / planes is fine and makes sense. You could also drop in terrain, texture the flat parts how you like, drop in rock assets for flavour and then create custom edges that you could place and repeat if you wanted to.

You might want to consider using a terrain for now so that you can follow closely with what we are doing and have the knowledge / practice… and then create a more angular / modular approach when we get to that point in our project.

2 Likes

Hi @Rick_Davidson, I chose to use the terrain as a reference to sketch the level. From that point I can easily use the level to work out my concept with rocks, platforms and edges. This works great for me! I’ve also made the choice to buy some rock assets to speed up the level design and keep motivation in the designing proces. I know this map setup does not looks like my sketch but I’ve chosen to use my sketch as a world map layout.

Hi @ben, I’ve also created with collider prefabs (simple quads with colliders) the set the collision perimeter. I’ve added a script on it to turn off the mesh renderer when the game starts. This way I can easily edit my scene with colliders without seeing them in the scene on runtime. This works great in combination with the collision layers we’ve set up!
Also I’ve got one practical question: can we use the Showcase section to create a post for the whole game process? In other words, can I create a topic that is solely about my game “Stalled”?

I hope you guys like it! I’m enjoying the design proces more than I thought. :slight_smile:

Scene with terrain as reference for designing

Scene with terrain turned off

This is a good suggestion. I’ve found a way between both as described above :slight_smile: Thank you!

Nice! That looks like a great approach - some sharp angles, some smoothness. I like!

1 Like

Absolutely, go for it! Use the new showcase category

Thanks Ben, will do! :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms