Question related to datablocks in church now---

So, after spending couple hours finalizing this stuff I ended up with two questions that I did not quite understand

1. In process of creating these church rooms I did numerous duplicating but not link duplicating-simple SHIFT D kind of duplicating. And now if I go to the logic we used in datablocks should I put all of them to same mesh data? Like, I have more than 30 corners on the tower, probably 24 windows, got no idea how many walls, vaults… How does that function in correlation with linked objects?

2. In my process of creation I wanted to make that tower vault local and I believe I made mistake when I used ALL option for making Local…Am I right by thinking that now all my vaults are actually local? I am pretty much sure they are, and to be honest its not that much of pain for me, but just wanna be sure… Also if I want to link them again, which of the options below should I use? Not sure about it…

Hi there,

I will try to answer your questions with the little knowledge I have: :sweat_smile:

1. To answer let’s ask another question: Why would you want to link duplicate (Alt + D) instead of duplicate object (Shift + D)?

Answer: To have them share the same mesh data.

Let’s say you want to add more details on your walls, if they are link duplicated, modifying your original object will modify the one in the church.
“A picture is worth thousand words” : I have a cube with a material that I have link duplicate (Alt + D) on the right and just duplicated (Shift + D) at the back. I then modify my original cube to add more details:

The Shift + D one doesn’t share the same mesh data than the original one, so the modification doesn’t apply.

So to answer your question, it is recommended to put them all under the same mesh data, by doing so, you can add details later to all of your pieces just by modifying one (the original one). It is a gain of time !

But a great loss of time to put them all under the same mesh data now that you have so many :sweat:

1. As far as I know making local only apply to the object you have selected. The ALL option is the level of locality, it means that you have made the object + mesh data + material + texture + … (all) local

If you want to test if all your vaults are local I suggest to have a look at the materials, the one made local (ALL) shouldn’t have the material greyed out but the others should.

If you didn’t have any materials applied I don’t know what to do.

For the second part of the question :

I don’t know yet, but I think lecture 181: “Re-Linking Blend files” is about it (I could be wrong, I didn’t check)

I hope that was of any help ! :wink:

Cheers !

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms