Question on Mirror Modifier

Hi !

During my WIP on the blender environment artist course “Medieval Houses” from Grant Abbit, I encountered a kind of issue. In fact, I already solve it, but I don’t know exactly why it happened.

It happened when I tried to mirroring my two roof beams.
Before that, I had to applied the roof rotation and then mirrored the roof part. Fortunatly, Grant showed us two simple ways to do it.

1 ) Either we could use an object to set the cursor and the origin at the center, and then mirrored it properly.

2 ) Or, we could have used the “eyedropper Data-block” tools to use an object as the center point.

WithDropperTool

I eventually decided to use the first technic to make it.

There come a time where I was in need to mirrored the two roof beams together.
In my case (with technic 1), by selecting all the pieces and then press Ctrl + L to link Data and transfer the roof modifier to the others one. It literally made a superposition on themselves (most certainly due to their rotation settings which are different from 0).

Then, after undo that, I tried the 2nd tecnic (without apply any rotation). Take the dropper, mirror my roof. Select all pieces in right order and then, link data to make a copy of the roof modifier.
It works !

As I said before, I didn’t apply the different rotation of my beams. However, the result is works well.
Any thoughts about it ? Thanks for your help.

1 Like

When you use a mirror object, it uses the local coordinates of the mirror object for mirroring.
So the local axes of your objects don’t really matter.

2 Likes

I use an EMPTY object for this.
The EMPTY becomes the mirror center.
And then I connect all the objects to this EMPTY.
Moving, and rotating the empty, will reflect in the model.

If you use an object of the house, its origin point must be in the center of the construct.
If you move this object due to design all related mirrored objects will change also.
There is no right or wrong solution, if it works it works, but most choices are based on efficiency and easy maintenance.

2 Likes

I see
I wasn’t sure about that, but I was also thinking about this.
Your comment helped me to clarify it.

Thank you !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms