Question on Asset Packs You Provide not from the Asset Store

I think I have asked this before but I want to confirm for 100% understanding. The asset packs such as what was mentioned with Inventory and the Saving System from the Combat course, those packs are basically gifts for us to use and keep for our own projects so if we were make out own games and even profit from them we would be able to use the packs that you have created.

Is that correct or is this only for specific packs that will be mentioned as the course goes on? I just want to make sure I understand as I do not want try using a pack for a game I hope to build and publish but run into a problem with using said pack I did not realize I was not allowed to use in that way.

What is allowed for our own use outside of the courses, not including the asset packs we use from the Asset Store.

Specifically the packs and assets you have made for the courses but which ones are course specific and which ones are we allowed to keep and use for our own purposes and games. I am sorry if this was already explained, I just don’t want to worry and accidently do something I am not suppose to do.

All code is fair to use, even in commercial games. Our code is licensed with an MIT license.
All graphics assets, models, and animations need to be properly licensed. Many are available for free in the asset store, though several are paid assets. We strongly encourage you to support asset developers in the marketplace, as this encourages them to make more assets.

So all the code we use through the courses we can reuse for our own games even ones we make a profit from. Assets so long as we buy we are good with.

That I follow and understand.

I am thinking of the development or asset packs that you specifically created for the course for us to use. Like how the Saving system in the combat course was an asset pack that we can keep to use however we wish. I wanted to know what other packs that GameDev creates for the courses specifically are we allowed to keep and reuse for other projects and games.

I hope I am making sense and I am not just overthinking and overcomplicating things in my head.

The saving system pack counts as a code pack, and still falls under the MIT. If it’s code, you may use it to your heart’s content!

1 Like

I have continued in the inventory course and have gone through the asset partner and license video. I wish I had before asking these questions. So everything in the GameDev.tv assets are available for us to use however we want for the project as well as our own games for commercial and non-commercial use. For the other packs so long as we purchase those we are allowed to use them outside of this student project.

The purchase of the license to use the paid assets I know of already, I think what I was mostly confused on was with the download and use of them from these courses was the work that you provided meant we had the option to use for other projects outside of this one. But the video as well as your explanation cleaned that all up. I do apologize for my misunderstanding.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms