Question About Walls

The Game Asset tutorials have been profoundly helpful, thank you for these! I have a question though, about the walls: Is it wise to actually use cubes?

Here’s my thinking. I am building out a game environment that requires the player to go inside and outside of structures. This means, a given wall will have at least two views to it: from the inside and from the outside. With two views, that means to sets of textures and two sets of materials - at a minimum (i am currently thinking it would be best to build the windows and their frames separately and just adding to them to the wall when building the environment).

So does it make more sense to use planes, and use vertex locking during game development to insure that the inner-wall plane matches up against an outer-wall plane?

For that kind of a layout you would be better off learning how to use blender. Its free. In unity it would require 4 cubes just to make the door frame then at least 4 wall segments X 2 because you want int and ext walls etc etc. More objects in scene with colliders can really add to the lag on lower end devices.

1 Like

I’ve been using blender - which is what I am referring to as well. There’s a course added to the GameDev.TV’s Unity Course on Udemy that handles Blender for making Game Assets. Yet they demonstrate making walls using cubes; which I found to be problematic.

Really? I saw the course but I am here for coding not making game assets. Well good luck. Make sure to show us what you come up with.

1 Like

I know this question is a few months old, but it wasn’t really answered so I’d like to bring it up again. In my case, I’m building a room that will only be viewed from the inside, so it doesn’t seem necessary to me to build walls with depth. Also, rotating and snapping them together seems easier to me when I don’t have to worry about the thickness interfering.

So is there some disadvantage to doing this? The only think I’ve noticed so far is what I’d describe as “light leakage” in Unity, where the light seems to come through the cracks of two wall pieces that I don’t think have any space between (I’m having trouble uploading pictures now, but I will try to post screen shots later to explain what I mean). @Ron_Kiker have you found out anything since you asked the question? Does anyone here know more about this or can you point me to more information about this subject?

Edit: Here are some pictures of what the walls look like in Blender…

… and the “light leakage” in Unity.

unity%20-%20Undercroft%20-%20PC%2C%20Mac%20%26%20Linux%20Standa

1 Like

For your shadow issue, try setting the Directional Light Bias to 0.

As for my issue, I haven’t really found a solution. In blender, I could setup the components to have different textures on both sides, but I’m just going to make a plane for the interior and a separate plan for the exterior. It’ll give me more latitude to make changes between then interior and exterior, plus it’s only a little bit more work -since I’m trying to build a more modular asset set.

In your case, though, I don’t think you have too much to worry about. Since you’re only focusing on the exterior, I’d just make them as separate planes and snap them together…especially if you start planning your scene/level and assets out to be able to modularize your assets.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms