Question about lamp insets

When I scale the insets of my lamps, I get these extra faces (highlighted in scene). If I go into wireframe mode you can see that this is part of the face on the left side of the lamp but somehow overlaps into the front side of the lamp?

My steps:
I for insetting with individual turned on
e for extruding
right click to place extrude position
alt s to scale inwards

1 Like

You have correctly worked out what it is.

You can fix that by selecting just the big extruded back faces and scaling them smaller. (One at a time or set to individual origins).
If your extrusion back had been more shallow it would not have clashed, that is how it came about.

1 Like

Oh okay. Iā€™m not quite sure what you mean by a shallow extrusion?

And another question, how would I go about scaling it inwards more without the overlap? Would it work any better if I used the move tool to individually move each of the faces inwards?

1 Like

I mean. You took the extrusion inside the lamp too far in.

See examples below. If you make the extrusion deeper than the width of the inset the geometry will cross. A square makes this inevitable a triangle it would happen sooner, a hexagon later/deeper.

The first two, on the left, start and shallow extrusion all is well.
The third one extrusion is too deep.
The fourth one deep extrusion is fixed by scaling. Though my extreme example shows how that changes the look a bit.

2 Likes

Oh I see, thanks for this!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms