Question about collider for TileVania

Hello, In the tilevania course we used a capsule collider to add to our player, and it’s mentioned that the capsule collider will keep the player from “catching” on our tilemap collider. I got curious about the different colliders and used a polygon collider on my player, I’m just wondering if the way I’ve done the collider below will it catch on the tilemap collider? Is a capsule collider standard practice for this type of game, or is it just the quick and easy way to explain the concept? This is a fantastic course, thank you guys so much!

Hi,

The more complex a collider is, the more likely you will get a negative impact on the performance, so it is usually a good idea to start with the simplest collider and increase its complexity only if the simplest shape (BoxCollider2D) creates additional problems. A problem could be a BoxCollider2D for a ball in a game where you need the behaviour of a round shape. A negative impact does necessarily mean that it is significant, so don’t worry too much about the performance.

Since each game is unique, there is no way to tell if this particular collider shape will solve all your problems. You’ll have to test it to figure out if it works as expected.

See also:

Thank you I believe that answers my question.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms