Question about 5:35

In this lecture at 5:35, @Grant_Abbitt does a additional inset and just left clicks, so it creates overlapped vertices, to then extrude the tower’s topside walls.

Later he extrudes down from that same inset, but here’s my question: Extruding down adds another group of vertices… why not just grabbing down (G) then moving the already existing/new inset of 5:35?

It was not mentioned in the video. (or are we supposed to merge them by distance? If so, sorry, it just seems counterproductive to me)

Thank you in advance, i’m just curious about it :slight_smile:

edit: linked the wrong time, fixed :smiley:

1 Like

I am missing seeing anything wrong. Perhaps I do not understand or the time given is wrong?

1 Like

I’m basically confused as to why he does it like that.

In example, at the minute 3:50 he shows that if you extrude and then press ESC or RMB (cancel), it will still create those extra faces, wich will overlap onto one another. Then shows us how to get rid of them using merge by distance.

Then at 5:35 (my bad, linked wrong the time, will edit main post accordingly), he does a inset, and then cancels it, making the same exact overlapping edges thing mentioned at 3:50.

My question being: If that’s bad… why not just grabbing/moving the inset of 5:35 directly down, instead of extruding again? I didn’t see him or mentioning to merge by distance, so i was wondering if that had a purpose for maybe later, or was just a overlook.

Thank you for your time :smiley:

It is catch up after the diversion into problems possibilities. He does not actually inset again, just illustrates selection of the face and says inset to catch up with where he is. Effectively he meant from not having any inset on the tower top, to making one as he has ended up with during the diversion. I can see there is that possibility of seeing it as you did though.

I am not a great fan of the interruption to show possible errors and fixes style many use. I would rather it was straight through correctly, then a end lecture wrap up about errors. However, I can see many that would stop with a problem and not watch to the end to see common problems/issues. I guess there is no one right way that suits all. When I first started learning Blender I always watched through a lecture once, then started again while doing it. Just different habits.

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

I thought so but wanted to make sure, and saved two versions of it so that i could revert back to it if needed.

Made a showoff post for the result if you want to have a look: So.. here's my lil' castle

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms