Queries regarding input

I am from a Unity Background and especially I used Unity’s new Input System over the old one for a quite a few time

and noticed that it is very similar to that of Unreals, the bindAction and bindAxis

been learning about it in detail from Input | Unreal Engine Documentation

few queries I have :slight_smile:

1): am i right ? first there is hardware input > There is a UPlayerInput class that converts hardware input into some sort of input form that can be used to bind to a function call > then there is UInputComponent which does the work of binding to function ?

2): UPlayerInput : doc says it is “Only exists on the client in network games.” so in multiplayer game there would be multiple clients so is it instanced across multiple things or just act as a single global manager like GameManager in Unity and GetWorld() in Unreal

3):I also saw that there is an “Enhanced Input” plugin which i searched about it online but was a little confusing but I saw that we have to create inputaction asset just like in Unity’s new Input System so is it equivalent to Unity’s new Input System ?

4): if 3 is yes then after learning basic Unreal UInputComponent class and UPlayerInput should I switch to Enhanced Input just like I did in Unity (first learned UnityEngine.Input class and then learned UnityEngine.InputSystem class (new Input System)) ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

1. Anyone understand the input flow? Can I hook it to for a weapon as well as a player? - C++ Gameplay Programming - Unreal Engine Forums
  2. As explained in the above link, it is a member of the Player Controller class
    PlayerInput | Unreal Engine Documentation
  3. I haven’t used Unity so I can’t really answer that. I don’t think the Unity TA’s are familiar enough with UE to answer that either.
  4. EnhancedInput is currently experimental and lacking in documentation so I wouldn’t advise it.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms