Pyramid Subdivision Challenge

Hi all!

This lesson is called “Mistakes when subdividing a surface”, and I see why the “mistakes” is important enough to make its way into the title. This seems like a minefield of potential problems that did immediately lead me to begin doubting myself. Really interested to see this in action as the course goes on.

So I actually had two goes at this challenge. The first was a few weeks ago, where I spent a lot of time determined to build a ceiling light into the pyramid.

Honestly, I can’t remember how I did this. :slight_smile: I think I extruded to create the interior, did a lot of edge dissolving, and then subdivided the ceiling to line up with subdivision on the roof. I’m certain that, as always seems to be the case in Blender, there’s going to be a better way to do this taught in the future.

Work got busy (and I admittedly felt a real loss of confidence and motivation), and after 2 weeks away from Blender I decided to go back through the last few lessons and try again.

This time I went for something a lot simpler, but feels more in the spirit of where we should be right now.

Really looking forward to seeing what everyone else has created and their workflow for subdividing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience, it’s always helpful to see what is going on inside someone else’s work.

I’m not great at Blender, but I’ve found that I usually don’t do the same thing the exact same way, I always found another path to create the same thing, I don’t know if that’s because I’m a complete Blender noob, or because that’s just how it usually works.

2 Likes

Blender has many ways to get to any result. None are wrong but some may be quicker than others. I still end up moving individual verts one at a time to get things where I need them frequently. Only to realise near the end there was a way round it. The more time you use it the better you get at it, learning it is never over and done.

Well done. Often starting again, going back over the course can solve issues. Plus do not try to do too much different beyond the course lessons until you have more experience. Keep putting in the time regularly, get the processes habitual.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms