Pros/Cons of UV Editing vs. Material Slots?

I really prefer the workflow of assigning slots and materials to UV editing - that way I’m not just coloring, I’m making it very convenient to adjust things later on. In comparison, the UV editing feels much more cumbersome and less flexible. But does it come with a significant performance gain (if I were to export to Unity, for example)?

Should I get into the habit of using UV Edits wherever possible or is it more about preference?

1 Like

I am not into any game uses but as I understand it. The editing of the UVs is very much a game centered thing. For low poly low quality simple coloured models with that Colour atlas thing. If you stay in Blender then certainly stick to slots, its much simpler. Yet there are better games where they have more than simple colors where normal UV use and an image is used. So I doubt there is one simple answer.

1 Like

Always try to get good UV maps, it helps the details (less stretching of textures). But also when you use texture bitmaps, like straight lines, texts, symbols, you don’t want to have deformations.

UVMapping plays an important role, together with a good mesh topology. They are related.
To get good UV’s you need to look at the mesh also. And backwards.

The poster is refering to the low poly characters course. Where Grant uses a tiny colour atlas. (As best I can make out) It’s not really UV editing as one might normally think of it. He selects the faces to be one colour on the model, then in the UV of the atlas scales the UVs to zero so they fit on the colour swatch in the atlas. Atlas image is something like 32x32 pixels, no load on memory.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms