Projectile Issue

Hi All.

I’m seeing different results when I compile and play this section. In the screenshot below, the circles on the arrows represent the origin of the spawns. This is myself and the enemy firing at each other.

Within the BP’s I have double checked that the projectile spawn components are 100 units out in front of the barrels. I have also experimented by moving them around as a test, to no avail. I also went through this video again to see where I strayed, and then also the previous video, in case it was there that I went wrong, but in both cases my code appears the same. Of course I say that, but it is always better to have a second pair of eyes right? Especially since mine are tired!

Can you help? Code below.

ProjectileBase.h

#pragma once

#include "CoreMinimal.h"

#include "GameFramework/Actor.h"

#include "ProjectileBase.generated.h"

class UProjectileMovementComponent;

UCLASS()

class TOONTANKS_API AProjectileBase : public AActor

{

GENERATED_BODY()

private:

UPROPERTY(VisibleAnywhere, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = "Components", meta = (AllowPrivateAccess = "true"))

UProjectileMovementComponent* ProjectileMovement;

UPROPERTY(VisibleAnywhere, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = "Components", meta = (AllowPrivateAccess = "true"))

UStaticMeshComponent* ProjectileMesh;

UPROPERTY(EditDefaultsOnly, Category = "Damage")

TSubclassOf<UDamageType> DamageType;

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = "Movement", meta = (AllowPrivateAccess = "true"))

float MovementSpeed = 1300;

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = "Damage", meta = (AllowPrivateAccess = "true"))

float Damage = 50;

public: 

// Sets default values for this actor's properties

AProjectileBase();

protected:

// Called when the game starts or when spawned

virtual void BeginPlay() override;

};

ProjectileBase.cpp

#include "ProjectileBase.h"

#include "Components/StaticMeshComponent.h"

#include "GameFramework/ProjectileMovementComponent.h"

// Sets default values

AProjectileBase::AProjectileBase()

{

// Set this actor to call Tick() every frame.  You can turn this off to improve performance if you don't need it.

PrimaryActorTick.bCanEverTick = false;

ProjectileMesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<UStaticMeshComponent>(TEXT("Projectile Mesh"));

RootComponent = ProjectileMesh;

ProjectileMovement = CreateDefaultSubobject<UProjectileMovementComponent>(TEXT("Projectile Movement"));

ProjectileMovement->InitialSpeed = MovementSpeed;

ProjectileMovement->MaxSpeed = MovementSpeed;

InitialLifeSpan = 3.0f;

}

// Called when the game starts or when spawned

void AProjectileBase::BeginPlay()

{

Super::BeginPlay();

}

PawnBase.h

#pragma once

#include "CoreMinimal.h"

#include "GameFramework/Pawn.h"

#include "PawnBase.generated.h"

class UCapsuleComponent;

class AProjectileBase;

UCLASS()

class TOONTANKS_API APawnBase : public APawn

{

GENERATED_BODY()

private:

// COMPONENTS

UCapsuleComponent* CapsuleComp;

UStaticMeshComponent* BaseMesh;

UStaticMeshComponent* TurretMesh;

USceneComponent* ProjectileSpawnPoint;

// VARIABLES

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = "Projectile Type", meta = (AllowPrivateAccess = "true"))

TSubclassOf<AProjectileBase> ProjectileClass;

public:

// Sets default values for this pawn's properties

APawnBase();

protected:

void RotateTurret(FVector LookAtTarget);

void Fire();

virtual void HandleDestruction();

};

PawnBase.cpp

#include "PawnBase.h"

#include "Components/CapsuleComponent.h"

#include "ToonTanks/Actors/ProjectileBase.h"

// Sets default values

APawnBase::APawnBase()

{

// Set this pawn to call Tick() every frame.  You can turn this off to improve performance if you don't need it.

PrimaryActorTick.bCanEverTick = true;

CapsuleComp = CreateDefaultSubobject<UCapsuleComponent>(TEXT("Capsule Collider")); // first creation of a sub object so capsule will be root

RootComponent = CapsuleComp;

BaseMesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<UStaticMeshComponent>(TEXT("Base Mesh"));

BaseMesh->SetupAttachment(RootComponent); // set as child in order to inherit movement

TurretMesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<UStaticMeshComponent>(TEXT("TurretMesh"));

TurretMesh->SetupAttachment(BaseMesh);

ProjectileSpawnPoint = CreateDefaultSubobject<USceneComponent>(TEXT("ProjectileSpawnPoint"));

TurretMesh->SetupAttachment(TurretMesh);

}

void APawnBase::RotateTurret(FVector LookAtTarget) 

{

FVector LookAtTargetCleaned = FVector(LookAtTarget.X, LookAtTarget.Y, TurretMesh->GetComponentLocation().Z);

FVector StartLocation = TurretMesh->GetComponentLocation();

FRotator TurretRotation = FVector(LookAtTargetCleaned - StartLocation).Rotation();

TurretMesh->SetWorldRotation(TurretRotation);

}

void APawnBase::Fire() 

{

if (ProjectileClass)

{

FVector SpawnLocation = ProjectileSpawnPoint->GetComponentLocation();

FRotator SpawnRotation = ProjectileSpawnPoint->GetComponentRotation();

AProjectileBase* TempProjectile = GetWorld()->SpawnActor<AProjectileBase>(ProjectileClass, SpawnLocation, SpawnRotation);

TempProjectile->SetOwner(this);

}

}

void APawnBase::HandleDestruction() 

{

}

Ok. So, small update:

I noticed line 23 of my PawnBase.cpp was reading as:

TurretMesh->SetupAttachment(TurretMesh);

…when it should have been:

ProjectileSpawnPoint->SetupAttachment(TurretMesh);

However, it made no change to the issue. So I restarted the editor just to make sure I wasn’t just seeing some crazyness and the issue got worse. Now I cannot see any projectiles, though I can see their actors spawning in the world outliner.

lol - investigations continue…

Where did you position the ProjectileSpawnPoint in your blueprint?

No worries Dan. All sorted as of ten minutes ago.

After going over the code and repositioning the ProjectileSpawnPoint I was still failing to fix the issue. I remembered that sometimes you need to compile from vscode with the editor closed when you see funny behaviors. So I did this, but the issue got worse. Suddenly I had no turrets at all and no details for the components.

I attempted to compile from the editor but the editor then crashed. So I set about manually repairing what I had. After this it compiled ok, but then crashed the editor again when I pressed play!

At this point, I went for some fresh air and a good think…

Then I came back, deleted the project, and started again.

Now I am back to this lecture and my cannons are firing without issue!

#Adventure

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms