Project still broken since refactor

Hi all,
I recently completed lectures 235-237 of the Unreal course, concerning the moving and renaming of many blueprint assets and C++ classes. I managed to get through those lectures with a working project and am now a few lectures further on.

However, frequently when I open my project, it is completely broken and I have to spend a lot of time fixing it. In particular, many of the folder we previously got rid of (ThirdPerson, AnimStarterPack, FirstPersonCPP etc…) are back and causing conflicts due to multiple copies of assets, at which point I have to delete them all over again to get the project to work. This is despite ensuring that those folders have been removed from both the project and the disc, as well as clearing the AppData cache, and deleting Binaries etc… then rebuilding my project (I should also mention that this is all despite using source control to keep working copies of my project.

Additionally, I sometimes receive warnings/errors in my message log of the type “CreateExport: Failed to load Outer for resource insert asset name here”, as well as errors saying that the project failed to load assets from those aforementioned deleted folders, even though there are copies of those assets in the new folder system, and I have made sure that all my blueprints are specifically referencing those assets, rather than the old deleted ones.

Can anyone suggest a reason why my project refuses to forget about those deleted folders? Why it fails to load 'Outer’s for various assets? Why I have to tell my project to reference the right assets some of the times I load it up?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

UPDATE: It seems the issue is in fact being caused by version control, making a working commit regenerates all those deleted folders. Not sure I know enough about the inner workings of version control to debug this one.

UPDATE 2: After further testing, I have noticed that these folders re-appear immediately after I open up SourceTree and it runs the “Downloading Git LFS file content”, before I make the commit. It seems that Git LFS is remembering all these folders and asset locations that I deleted, and is restoring them to the project EVERY time I open SourceTree. Can anyone help solve this?

@DanM @sampattuzzi

Its been too long since i did this to go back into the refactor lectures again and understanding them. Neglected Unreal over Unity lately!

Did you try the Unreal course Q&A for a reply on this.

My guess would be to fix it you would.

1. Let it redownload the files.
  2. When you go to do a new commit find those files in the staging list
  3. Right click the files and stop tracking them.
  4. Do the commit
  5. Delete the files locally.
  6. Do another commit if needed to be sure.

This in theory should remove them from git-lfs and then you can safely delete them locally.
I will put a disclaimer its been at least a year since i did the section and used git-lfs as not needed it over in unity yet :slight_smile:

Good luck and if my advice is not helpful i am sure Dan or Sam can fix it :slight_smile:

Yeah, opening up SourceTree runs git lfs pull. So it’s getting them from your repo so you would need to remove them there

https://help.github.com/articles/removing-files-from-git-large-file-storage/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms