Project folder organization

First of all, thanks to CodeMonkey for this course. I’ve been following it for a good couple weeks by now, and have learned more than a thing or two about game design.

Now, my question is: as the project grows beyond a simple prototype, how do you organize it? Do you go in the already presented structure where you have basic folder types (Animation/Scripts/Materials/etc.) with topic subfolders (UI/Level/Units/Interactibles/etc.) inside them, or you rather make big independent folders for UI, Level, Units, Interactibles… each containing their own sets of materials, scripts, prefabs, etc.?

It depends on the project.

The more you have, the more you need to split it all up.

You’ll find as your project grows, your structure will grow with it. I don’t like to go too many layers deep, to avoid file paths that are too long, but a level or two deep can be helpful at times.

That is indeed a tricky problem and the solution will depend on a per project basis. I also don’t like to go too many layers deep so most of the time I try to put things in just one sub folder like Scripts > Pathfinding

Alternatively you can sort things by systems instead of by types. So instead of having Prefabs > TooltipPrefab and Scripts > TooltipScript you could make a Tooltip folder to hold everything related to a tooltip.

I like to keep the main folders separated by type (Scripts, Prefabs, Textures, just like in the course) but when I reuse some system that I’ve already done, like a Tooltip, then I usually keep that in its own folder.

Privacy & Terms