Project Fire Emblem

This has been in the works for awhile, but thanks to the guys here at Gamedev, I am now working on my Unity Fire Emblem game. That’s not its actual name, but I have yet to name it. For now, my focus has been entire on the mechanics side.

Most of the assets have been made by me or modified from a pre-existing sprite. For instance, the snow and trees were modified from grassland tiles. I used my art skills to turn them to snow.

In this scene, I have the movement and camera fully functional along with collision. Using the Fungus framework, I have also put in a NPC dialogue system, so you can converse with other units.

Thanks to some guides on YouTube, I was also able to implement BFS and a rudimentary turn-based system in the game. The script I wrote dynamically reads the Unity tilemap system and creates a 2D array of nodes for the units to navigate off of.

Currently, my work has been bogged down by A*. Although the AI can find the path to the nearest unit on its first turn and even move towards that unit, on its second turn, using the A* algorithm causes the entire game to freeze/crash.

I have commented out line after line and it is definitely being caused by the function that calls A*. I suspect it has something to do with the memory allocation or that something has it stuck in an infinite loop. I just cannot tell what it is or why.

6 Likes

Been working on some concept art and other assets for the game. This is one of them.

5 Likes

Progress thus far on the game:

• Turn- Based combat with a simplistic AI
  • Sprite Animations for Movement & Attack
  • Dynamic Camera that automatically confines itself based on the map.
  • Script that generates a polygon collider 2D based on the max width and height of the map

Special thanks to one of my good friends for coming on board for the sprite artwork. Allowed me to focus on the coding.

3 Likes

It was hard work, but I did it. My Senior Design Project is complete. My professor said it was the best video game project she had ever seen. Mind you, the comp sci department at my school has very little in video game development. So most video game projects tend to be mediocre at best. The fact that I made it this far is due to the help of so many people online, including the wonderful people here at Gamedev.tv. Without you guys, I would never have had the courage to do this.

There’s still a lot of work to be done. And I definitely want to expand this into something professional.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms