Project "Discord" - Health & Damage Philosophy

I am creating my documents like these in markdown format because I store them along with my code in my code repository; I’ve just learned that you guys supportt markdown, so that’s great :slight_smile: Thank you Gamedev.tv!

My document is copied below and hopefully shines a bit of light on my game’s philosophies as well as a little peek into some more information about the game.

Health and Damage Philosophies

This document describes the philosophies that will be adhered to while building Project “Discord”.

Rogue-Like / Permadeath <-> No-cost save points

Score: 7

• Should be a cost to reclaim body/items. Unsure as to what. Probably “a” currency, but that could be gold or certain items. Could also be part a decline or increase in the player’s obligation bar.
  • Respawn at set areas in the game world, near to where you died; Or, alternatively, the player’s “base”.
  • No resurrection effects or anything like that.

No healing <-> Tons of healing

Score: 4

• Every class can have healing abilities.
  • Healing will be based on a different stat, so will be necessary to focus to do “a lot” of healing.
  • Healing skills take away damage output abilities due to limited ability slots.
  • Healing will not be big numbers. It is expected the player receiving healing to also dodge or avoid attacks a little. Healing should not “heal through” damage output.
  • Healing is mainly an out of combat skill.

1-hit Health <-> Unkillable

Score: 3

• Enemies will not have so much health that they take too long to die.
  • Enemies will be “stupid” so that players can be tactical and take advantage of things like terrain or long-range abilities to take them down.
  • Enemies will not have Armour (aka shield) but players will which will increase their survivability compared to enemies, though enemies will hit harder.
  • Players will have similar health pools, but will have far more movement capabilities.

Easy combat skill <-> Hard-core combat skill

Score: 5

• The game should have deep character progression which will make combat seemingly easier as they get higher “level”.
  • Combat itself should be rewarding.
  • Combo abilities and player knowledge should be key to combat skill improvement.
  • It should be possible to have competition between players as to what builds are best, how combat can be approached for certain creatures.
  • Elemental damage types can be used in conjunction with the class to change playstyle a little.
  • Variety. Balance. Not too easy, not too hard.

Relaxing combat <-> Stressful combat

Score: 7

• Should be active, but not stressful.
  • Should not be stood still attacking and kill the creature.
  • Combat should involve use of dodge & status effect mechanics.
  • Combat should involve movement. Either avoiding enemy telegraphs or keeping the enemy at range.

No player upgrades <-> Everything is upgradeable

Score: 9

• Items should be upgradeable.
  • Stats should be improved through items amongst other things.
  • No levels, but player tiers (name tbd) should significantly improve overall power.
  • Ability builds, while not a direct upgrade, will improve player’s capability.
  • Player will only start with a select number of ability slots, increasing to 5 through progression.
  • Progression should be tied to experiences, not how many creatures have been killed, or how much “farming” has taken place.
  • Crafting should play a big role in upgradeability.

All Combat <-> All Story

Score: 3

• Combat will be heavily focused.
    • Action Combat RPG (duh!)
  • Should contain levels of competition for players.
  • Story should be woven into the world but not shoved in player’s faces.
  • World state changes should tell a story on their own.
    • Daytime: Animals running around. Farmers need help dealing with them.
    • Nightime: Ghosts are running amok terrorizing the world. Where are the ghosts coming from?

1 Like

Hi Dean,

I store them along with my code in my code repository;

Great idea Dean, I think you’ll find GitHub supports this too, so you could create them as ReadMe.md files and they would be rendered very nicely :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did exactly that :slight_smile: I commit it with my code and then I can view it directly from the repository UI online. It keeps things nice and organised, too, allowing me not to lose my docs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nicely done and good thinking :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms