Project crash and gives a fatal error when trying to reopen it

I was following the GameDev.tv teacher’s instructions in the class Unreal 5.0 C++ Developer: Learn C++ and Make Video Games, section: FMath::VInterpConstantTo. Unreal Crash when using the Live compile button. And when trying to reopen the project I get the following error

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000000001c8

UnrealEditor_CriptRaider!ResolveObjectHandleNoRead() [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Public\UObject\ObjectHandle.h:439]
UnrealEditor_CriptRaider!UMover::UMover() [C:\Users\User\Documents\Unreal Projects\CriptRaider\Source\CriptRaider\Mover.cpp:15]
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_CoreUObject
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor_Projects
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

I tried to remove the c++ files from the source folder to see if could get the project to open but it does not
Is It a way to restart the project before I created the c++ file mentioned in this section?
Before the UnrealEditor_CriptRaider!UMover::UMover() [C:\Users\User\Documents\Unreal Projects\CriptRaider\Source\CriptRaider\Mover.cpp:15] was created?

Here I am 3 hours later…
The problem affected all my projects… in different ways.
To Make a long story short, the problem was with Visual Studio Code and the json configuration files…
Why and how? I have no idea, I am not familiar with json files and compiling configurations.
I had problems with live compilation in the Unreal Editor from the beginning ( the Live Coding Issues lecture (Video Reference: 9a_OA_EC5).)
I end up recreating the entire project using the data from the broken one and switching to Visual Studio 2022 as my c++ editor, my project works fine now…
I did not mark this topic as solved yet, I am still wondering what is the issue with Visual Studio Code.

Visual studio code is just a glorified text editor and uses plugins to extend it’s capabilities. You could be experiencing issues related to plug in or which seems possible given the code is working in Visual Studio. We’re there some updates applied?

Saying that, the error has occurred at line 15 of your mover. Sometimes rebuilding in VS will fix the issue. Also, deleting the binaries folder may help.

It does seem it could be unrelated to code and rather you needed to fully rebuild the project.

Thanks for the reply :).
I updated Visual Studio 2022, it probably updated the compiler MSVC also.
Next time I have a similar problem, I will delete my binaries folders. I am not sure how to do that yet, I guess I will have to google it.

It is actually quite easy. You close down the editor, and go to the folder where your project files are. In that directory you’ll see a binaries folder. Just select and delete that. Once done, double-click on the uproject file and you will be prompted to build the project again - this happens automatically. As long as your project was building fine before, it will build and then launch the editor.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms