Project "Ballad" GDD

I’ve been kicking this idea around since I was a child. I’m at the point where I don’t care if the concept is hugely original or if it’s massively popular, so much as that a small group of like minded people enjoy it. It’s basically a spiritual successor to Crystalis (same kind of combat and ball/bracelet system, but this time you’ll be able to mix and match bracelets of one element and swords of another and get interesting results), but with my own story drawn from my own IP. I’m a lone programmer at the moment eventually seeking art (no way to pay myself or anyone else right now, so I’m planning to chug along with programmer art or course art until I can). Here goes:

Genre: Science Fantasy
Target Audience: T
Controls: tap to move, tap to stab, swipe to slash, hold to fire elemental
Thematic Setting: Two worlds — one of technology, one magical
Tech Stack: Unity 2017, C# (I’m
Platform(s): PC, mobile, Steam
Game Moment: The player, along with an old sword he found in a pile of old junk, finally sees that Ballad is real, steps through it, and fights off a swarm of mutants.

Game Summary: You are a homeless drifter in the outskirts of a futuristic world, having long ago convinced yourself that you never REALLY spent your earliest childhood in a world known as Ballad, or that you weren’t pushed over a cliff to your death by soldiers who massacred your family.

One day, you find a familiar looking sword while scavenging in a junkyard. One thing leads to another and you end up taking it through what looks like a heat mirage, landing you in the world you thought had robbed you of your sanity…

Core Player Experience: Story-driven, fun combat, very similar to Crystals (NES)
Central Theme: Loss, hunting for the past, fixing mistakes, chasing dreams
Design Pillar:
Anticipated Remarkability: Sure

Anticipated Steam Early Access Launch date: 2/2019

Feature Development Priorities: battle mechanics, interaction mechanics, everything else

Comparative Products: Crystalis, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 4

1 Like

Privacy & Terms