Problems with Knight

Hey there. I faced some problem while scaling my knight’s loops. This is how it looks with clipping off:

With clipping on it’s a little bit better, but all vertical edges are uneven:

I tried to adjust Transformation orientation and Pivot point but it didn’t help. With pivot point set to cursor it scales in the weird way:

1 Like

I think the problem occurred when you had clipping OFF.
Then scaled the part of the mesh.
Then you discovered clipping was off.
But that scalling was applied with wrong dimensions.
So switching on clipping, does solve your mirror problem, but not the applied scaling.

Undo your work?
Use previous file version?
Or manually fix this (moving vertices or delete that part and start over).

1 Like

Yeah I tried to undo and make clipping on. And even started from piece base again but it didn’t help too. Here’s the full screen, maybe it will help:

Looks like there’s some issue with scaling point but I can’t find out what’s wrong.
That’s how it looks without modifier:

1 Like

You can change the pivot point… Similar issue was had here:

3 Likes

Oh it helped, thank you!
Though it means that I have to move my 3D cursor every time I scale a new loop?

2 Likes

Pretty much… generally this is not an issue since bi-symmetrical objects tend to not have circular-symmetry also… e.g., the “horse” is not made from circular sections - they tend to be oval… (if you were to model the types of objects that only had circular symmetry you would rather want to use something like the screw modifier.)

Keep in mind the type of symmetry you’re modeling and maybe keep the base as a separate object (without mirror) so you do not have that issue there, and then model the “horse” with x-symmetry and join the objects when you’re done.

3 Likes

Being able to change where things pivot around is very useful all the time. Especially as we can place both the 3d cursor and the origin point to use very specifically. However, there is no way for Blender to guess which is the method or pivot place your object and modeling needs in any particular case. So it default starts at the median point of the selected. Probably the ‘good enough’ for most cases option.

It is also a case in point of why when having a problem the full window/screen gives helpers more info than just the geometry.

2 Likes

Yeah, my fault. Added full screens to comments later :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms