Problems with Git and SourceTree

I’m lost…I attempted to follow the discussions, but no one has posted a solution that has worked for me.

I downloaded Git and SourceTree, but upon opening SourceTree, just about everything was blanked out. I tried to follow David’s instructions to Anavil, but I did not have the option to “Add Remote.”

I did create a GitHub account with the following as my repository:

I then went to SourceTree, clicked File -> Clone/New -> Clone Repository

And inserted the above URL into Source Path/URL and then clicked “Clone.”

I don’t know if this was what I was supposed to do, but much of what’s in SourceTree is no longer blanked out, which I suppose is a good thing.

I’m not even sure what the purpose of having downloaded Git was for as it appears to not be used.

Can someone tell me if this is right? Do I need to do something further?

Below is what I see in SourceTree:

Thanks,

Jaime

Well I think it is working after all. I played around with it and it looks like I can push changes to the online repository at GitHub.

Only problem now is that I wanted to clean up my history to have a clean slate and I’ve made a mess that I can’t clean up. I can’t find clear answers online.

Does anyone know how I can “clean” this history here?

You don’t clean a git history you leave it as is, mistakes and all, if your trying to start fresh just delete the repo, recreate it and push what you have now. There is also another way that is beyound the scope of this chat. Mostly it involves you dumping all your changes and starting at the initial commit, which is destructive and you should avoid doing, especially on important or big projects. I only know the terminal commands for git, I don’t know anything about SourceTree so I can’t really help you.

Privacy & Terms