Problem with the Knife tool

Hi Grant,

After I cut the first window with the knife tool, it all seems fine. Ngon is on flat surface of course. It all looks fine, but when I tab into object mode the window cut is not visible anymore.

If I remove the Face of the Ngon and leave a hole, then I can see the window hole cut into the face of the triangle. But I wonder if something is wrong because in the video when you tab into object mode, the window is still there.

1 Like

Please show us what you are having the issue with. It is much more possible to understand issues we can see, than tell from just text.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

1 Like

Check your model on duplicate meshes and or objects.

Well since I clicked the ask below the lecture where the issue happened, I is logical to think my Ask would be linked to that lecture. I can also access this reply from my Ask directly below the lecture, which is “The Knife tool” lecture.

And this is a link to my project file at this stage My blender file

Thanks Pete,

I cannot find any vertices, edges or faces duplicates. The issue is in one face only.

That is normal Blender behavior.
Edit mode cuts in a flat surface are not shown in Object mode which shows the outline, shapes, etc. In fact, if it did show an edge there it would be a good indication of a problem with the mesh. Like some double geometry.

See below.
Duplicate Objects
Yours is displaying as on the right normally.
On the left, I activated wireframe viewport display as can be seen in the panel to the right, to make it show off those edges.

The edit mode view of both, showing they are identical in edit mode.

Yes, the lecture can be worked out from that code though they are horrible to use backwards. It is the time in a lecture that can help others solve the issues. This is a highly visual medium, and there is lots of info in the panels and surrounding edges that help solve questions.

2 Likes

Np5 is correct!
Normal Blender behavior.
In object mode you see the object, NOT edges (until you switch some Blender options ON).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms