Problem with inheriting properties of duplicated object

In Edit Mode my low poly pawns repeat changes of the selected pawn, and bishops didn’t. I read in Questions that non-applied modifier could cause the problem (a bug of Blender). When I tried to apply modifier to a bishop, a phrase appeared "Modifiers can not be applied to multi-user data. Then I copied a bishop with Ctrl+D, applied modifier, then copied with Alt+D, and the link between these two works. And it was said (and shown) in the lecture, that modifiers should not be applied on that stage. Is it a rare problem? Oh, may be, I misunderstood something?

Ctrl+D, you mean shift+d, which is just a duplicate (a copy), not linked and nneo multi user data.

With Alt+d, get a linked copy, depending on Multi-user data. Because the two objects (USERS) are using the same linked DATA.

Sorry, once more. I duplicate (Alt+D) a parented object with non-applied modifier, select it and go to Edit mode. In Edit mode its sibling is unselected, uneditable. While at 9:13 of the Lecture 80 it is selected and editable. What’s the trick?

I wonder if this is a confusion where Mikey said to apply.
If you try to apply with a linked duplicate if will create the error of multi user data so you need to remove the linked duplicate, apply the modifier and then alt and d to link the duplicate.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms