Problem with Bowling Pin Animations

Problem with Bowling Animation.

First one, created the “cave” where bowling pins are set up by extruding from a single cube. Gave this object passive rigid body physics so that the pins can be placed inside. Unfortunately, the ball seems to treat it like a solid cube and bounces off of it before it gets to the pins. I therefore removed the rigid body physics and added invisible walls to the sides, top, and back. Gave those walls passive rigid body physics so pins can bounce around when ball hits them.

Single bowling pin works well. However, duplicating each pin presents a second problem. I duplicated the pins as instructed and placed them in their correct places. Now, when I run the animation from frame 1, suddenly, the pins start out occupying the same space as the first pin. The bowling ball hits it and they all go flying. I stop the animation and go back to frame 1. Sure enough, the pins all occupy the same space as the first one. It doesn’t matter if I move these pins back to their respective places.
I’ve repeated this step several times to exactly the same result.

Should I animate each pin separately? Not sure what else to do at this point.

Also, can I go to a specific keyframe (frame 1 for example) and change the starting position of the ball? I tried it and it just seems to break the animation. Either the ball would stop, not move, or start at the previous spot.

3 Likes

@Marc_Carlyon

Are those Pins duplicated (Shift D in object mode) or duplicated linked (alt D).

Check to see if their mesh data is the same. I had problems with something similar when I was creating my party table scene.

1 Like

I tried both. Both do the same thing.

My guess is a problem with key frames. Did the pin have a location key framed before you duplicated it? Then all the pins would have that location key framed (probably at frame 0 or 1).

If that were the case, then you could either just delete their location key frames, since you wouldn’t need them, or put them in the right location and then overwrite the key frame with the new location.

Did you set a new key frame after you moved it? (e.g. go to the right frame at the timeline, move it to the desired location, and then press “i” with your cursor over location [or press “i” in the 3D view and choose location from the menu that pops up])

3 Likes

I am following this also on the Udemy Q&A and have requested the students file to look at the issue.
I will also move this to the ASK section as then it will appear on my daily checks

Thanks for the ping @Kevin-Brandon

Let me know if @Tyger2 's solution works

1 Like

Looks like pin attracting each other … do you have hidden force fields?

Found the problem. A more advanced student (shout out to Ricardo) on the discussion forum did a one on one with me on discord to figure it out (he’s at a more advanced level but has run into similar issues) .

There were a few problems with my scene but I’ll just concentrate on the bowling ball and pins.

First off, it turns out that pressing “I” (for inserting keyframe) has multiple uses. There is a difference between pressing “I” on the object and pressing “I” when the animation checkbox is ticked. Each one produces its own keyframe value.

Secondly, I admittedly didn’t follow the lesson’s instructions to the letter since I hit “I” on the pin at frame 1 (just like the bowling ball) which gave it a keyframe for LocRotScale, and then another at the later frame. Apparently, I should just hit “I” after ticking the animation box and then again on the later frame without inserting a transform keyframe (LocRotScale) .

Thirdly, since duplicating the pins with LocRotScale transform keyframes also copies that object’s transformations (location, rotation, scale) for that frame, all duplicated objects will converge at that location when animation starts. This is why all my pins would converge on the original pin when “Play” is pressed.

Lastly, having to relocate my bowling ball on frame 1 drove me crazy. When I press “Play”, the ball would start at its original position. Turns out, I’d have to do a “Replace Keyframe” on the location tab every time I move the ball. If I don’t, the new location gets recorded alongside the first one. What happens is that the new location gets played first (computationally) but the original location is what gets shown when animation starts.

To sum up everything:

1. There’s a separate keyframe value for everything. (i.e. transform keyframe is different from animation keyframe)

2. A keyframe inherits the value of the keyframe that precedes it, unless manually overridden.

3. LocRotScale transform is only used if there is displacement of the object via animation (not physics) . The ball required it because it had a different start and stop location. The pins did not since it is not supposed to move before physics kicks in.

4. Moving an object (i.e. bowling ball) that already has a LocRotScale transform keyframe (i.e. frame 1) to a different location on the board will not replace the transform values that have been set previously. The keyframe has to be replaced by hovering over the location values on the Transform Tab. The altered location values will have an orange background (indicating they have been changed) . Right-click on one of the values with the orange background and on the pop-up menu, click “Replace Keyframe.”

Certain issues still persist:

1. When animation starts, the pins move down vertically by about a millimeter right about the time the animation value changes to physics. I checked and re-checked the Z location of the pins at start and they all rest exactly on top of the floor board. It’s as if gravity makes the pins “sink in” when physics takes over.

2. Playing the animation looks okay, but when rendering to animation, the ball would only render going forward in the first ten frames, and then the rest of the frames rendered with the ball in the starting location. All pins are in their respective places. But by frame 11, the duplicated pins would disappear leaving only the first pin to be shown.

Here’s the video on youtube: Bowling Animation

3 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. I made the mistake of not following the lesson exactly to the letter. I thought I had to press “i” on the pins just as I did with the ball. Turns out pressing “i” for inserting keyframes has several uses. Apparently, you can keyframe LocRotScale and animation separately.

I provided a more detailed account in my response to the thread.

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate this Tyger2.

2 Likes

Marc,

Although the bowling pin problem was solved, do you still want me to upload the original problem file? I don’t mind uploading it if you want to use it to show other students what I did wrong.

Paul

Anytime :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms