Problem when I join the model together

Every time I join the model entirely together it rotates the lampshade 180° on the z access and when I enter edit mode it snaps back into place. I checked that the bones and vertex groups match. I don’t know what the problem is. Thank you for any assistance.

1 Like

The lampshade object is probably rotated in the design process.
Meaning the object and internal mesh data have a different rotation properties.
You are working on the object, while bones use the internal mesh data.

What you need to do and or check, is to apply the rotation of the lampshade. Like you do with applying the scale.
Best to do it without the bone connection. So un-parent to the bone, then apply location, setup the shade correctly and add to the bone again.

DO THIS ON A COPY of the project!

Another thing it may be related to is edit mode uses the rest position of the armature, object mode uses the posed position. It is a factor to consider, the most likely is as FedPete says, applying rotations and scales at the right time.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, it seems the problem was the order I tried to join them. I was starting from the shade and working down to the base but when I started from the base and went to the top it stayed how it should have. Now I’m running into the issue that the bones are moving but everything is stiff and moving with the shade. I think that might just be that I have to mess with IK a little bit though. Thank you again.

2 Likes

I’m not sure (I did the course long ago) if you need (instructed) IK. If not, don’t use it. Because it looks interesting, but you need to do a lot more than switching on IK.

OK thank you, I’m very new to 3d modeling so I’m not very good with it yet.

1 Like

Does the instructor, asked you to do IK?

No. I just rewatched the video and I missed the part about unparenting the model. I did that and everything is working completely fine. Thank you all for the help.

1 Like

Ahh, yes easy to miss something.
Focusing on a part but forget to remember the previous instruction set.
Happens to anyone.

Have fun!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms