Problem moving wm2000 asset to project hierarchy

Hello all,

I am currently trying to make the Hacker Game (from the Unity c# Lecture Series) but I can’t move the “WM2000” asset from the asset window to the project hierarchy - as instructed at 6:02 mins approx. of the “Import WM2000 Terminal Asset” video lecture (Section 2 Lecture 11).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I know this is 3 months late, but I figured I’d answer it anyway to help others that find this question.
I had the same issue. It was because I was using Unity 2018. Ben is using Unity 2017.1.1f1 (displayed at the top of the video). Prefabs from Unity 2017 must not be compatible with Unity 2018 for some reason.
Switch to Unity 2017 and it will solve your problem.

edit: I was wrong. I was accidentally using Unity 5.4 so the prefab is incompatible with that version. It works just fine in Unity 2018.

Any chance of a video of this problem occurring? As it happens I was testing the assets from this section earlier on for a different reason, using Unity 2018, and there were no issues dragging the WM2000 prefab from the Assets view in Unity to the Hierarchy.

Here ya go. The prefab even has a different icon in 2018.

In that video example, the version of Unity on the right-hand side is Unity 5.4, not Unity 2018.

The Unity 3D course was designed using Unity 2017, it is not surprising to me that a prefab made in Unity 2017 wouldn’t open/appear/work correctly in a much older version.

If you want to use Unity 5.4, you could import the package into 2017 as per your left-hand side of the screen, then, copy the specific files into Unity 5.4, then create the prefab yourself. You will probably find some code errors though, due to the API changes between version 5.4 and 2017.

Not sure why you would want to though, as you already have the new version of Unity installed?

Hmm. I downloaded and installed Unity 2018 but my default editor must be Unity 5.4 for when I open .unity file. Anyway, I was just trying to figure out Stephen’s problem. I don’t use 5.4, intentionally anyway. Maybe he was accidentally using Unity 5.4 as well.

1 Like

Maybe… obviously his post is quite old but it may align with Unity 5.4 being fairly recent at that time.

Hopefully if you do a side-by-side with 2017 and 2018 you should find that you can use the custom package in both.

Incidentally, if you don’t already, try Unity Hub, you can then launch your project knowing which version of Unity will be used. :slight_smile:

See also;

Yes, I can confirm it works in 2017 and 2018. I just tried myself, as well.
I’ll check out Unity Hub too! Thanks Rob.

1 Like

Great, and you’re very welcome :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms