[Problem] Intermittent Thrust Particles

I’m just a tad puzzled what’s going on with my particles. My particles for player death and success work perfectly fine, but the thrust seems to either work, not work, or work really weakly.

I’m at a stage where I can only reliably get it to work normally if I manually click on the Rocket object in the inspector during play.

I haven’t changed any settings from the default downloads (except resetting the transform as Ben does in the tutorial), and my code is pretty much on par with what we’ve been shown so far.

Any ideas what might be happening/wrong? :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hi,

Which version of Unity do you use?

I’m using 2019.1.0f2

What you describe sounds like a bug. Actually, you should click into the game window to set the focus on it. And the particle system should have worked properly unless your code stops or restarts it. Have you already compared your code to the Lecture Project Changes which can be found in the Resources of this lecture?

If so, I’d suggest to update Unity to the latest stable version.

How are you getting on with this, @sfChris?

At the time, my code was the same, so I tried to convert the project to the version Rick and Ben were using, but it had difficulty recognizing other objects and components instead. It was a while ago, so I don’t remember the specifics, but there were a lot of red errors, even though the particles were working now.

Unfortunately, it was now just too unplayable, so I just reverted back to the version I had begun with, making a conscious decision to just remove those particles as I didn’t want to have to start the whole project again.

Nowadays I’m just using the exact version that Rick and Ben use for tutorials to avoid hassle. I have enough bugs and errors in my projects as it is, without needing to add any more potentially avoidable ones :stuck_out_tongue:

This probably doesn’t help you, but I’m not sure what else I can do now. I could remove the [Problem] at the top of the title, although I doubt my solution would necessarily help anyone else who has just encountered the same error? :thinking:

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think it’s a good idea to stick with Rick’s and Ben’s version until the end of the section. Once you have a working game, you can try to implement your own ideas. This way, you will also avoid conflicts with their solutions because it might well be that they change something in one of the next lectures, and suddenly your solution does not work anymore.

Don’t worry about other people finding your thread. Don’t mark a solution, and nobody will be confused. I’m setting a timer for your thread now so it automatically closes. If you want to re-open the thread, please let us know. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 35 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms