Preventing ship from crashing immediately

After Rick’s ship crashed immediately upon restarting the level I played with mine and found it very easy to crash right away as well. I didn’t want to change where the ship started though, so I decided to not give the player control right away upon loading, and to only give control once I passed through a plane that I added to the scene, which you can see below.

Nothing special about the plane, except I replaced the default Mesh Collider with a Box Collider.

In the CollisionHandler script I added a serialized field called PlayerControlStartPlane that we can drag the 3D object onto in the Unity editor. I also added in a Start method that gets the plane’s Mesh Renderer component and disables it (I like having it enabled in the editor so I can see where it is easily, but want it to be invisible when actually playing the game) and I remove control from the player for the time being. Then, in OnTriggerEnter, I check other’s gameObject.name and see if it equals “PlayerControlStartPlane” and if so I give the player control of the ship. Any other gameObject.name starts the crash sequence like normal.

The full CollisionHandler script ends up looking like this:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;

public class CollisionHandler : MonoBehaviour {
	[SerializeField] GameObject PlayerControlStartPlane;

[Header("Win/Lose Settings")]
	[SerializeField] float SceneResetTimerInSeconds = 3.0f;

PlayerControls PlayerControls;

private void Start() {
		PlayerControls = GetComponent<PlayerControls>();
		PlayerControlStartPlane.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>().enabled = false; ;
		PlayerControls.AdjustPlayerControl(false);
	}

private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other) {
		//Debug.Log($@"{this.name} triggered by {other.gameObject.name}.");
		if (other.gameObject.name == "PlayerControlStartPlane") {
			PlayerControls.AdjustPlayerControl(true);
		} else {
			StartCrashSequence();
		}
	}

public void StartCrashSequence() {
		PlayerControls.AdjustPlayerControl(false);
		StartCoroutine(ReloadSceneAfterDelay(SceneResetTimerInSeconds));
	}

IEnumerator ReloadSceneAfterDelay(float delay) {
		yield return new WaitForSeconds(delay);

SceneManager.LoadScene(SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex);
	}
}

I may tweak it slightly as I go through the rest of the course/play through the game, but I like how it works so far and it gives me an easy way to adjust it in the future if necessary.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms