Pressing the L key doesn't select around

Mike has been using the L key to select all edges around the pyramid. When I press it it selects everything. Same does the A key. The only difference is that I get a menu that says Select Linked. I opened a new project thinking I might have some hidden geometry but it does the same to the cube. Has the button change or am I missing something?

Besides this menu.
Annotation 2021-03-20 150449

1 Like

Found it. It’s now ALT + Left Mouse Button.

2 Likes

Yes that is what L will do.

To select a loop of edges you Hold Alt and click one of the edges.

However it will not select a cube edge as it is not a loop, the end of an edge like that has two directions, other edges, to go along and it does not know which one to pick, however obvious it may feel to the human.

For a base you cab select the base face, then change to edge or vert selection mode if that is what you need.
Otherwise it is just hold down Shift and click each edge you want. (on more complex bases holding Alt too, will select sections, short bits of straight connections, until Blender hits a choice). Or look from a front/side view, wireframe mode and box select, that may still need some verts/edges deselected. Just whatever works easiest.

3 Likes

WOW, I’ve been using Blender 2.79 for so long, and I never knew that. Definitely an easy timesaver. :wink:

Edited to Add: OK, I was wrong, I can select the whole Edge Loop by clicking Alt and the RMB, so not exactly the same, but still something I never knew I could do.

No not that I am aware of. Other than the work around’s I mentioned, selecting the face to get the edges etc. As I understand it, the problem is Blender automatically knowing which branch to take. Loops can assume the opposite side of a 4 way crossroad, but any less or more and it is not logical which route to take.

No problem, at least I learned one new thing today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms