Prefab Variant vs Original Prefab...?

I may have missed something, but what are the advantages of using a Prefab Variant over creating an Original Prefab from the first prefab, instead of a Variant?

in my previous experience/experiments I have run into issues when adding or removing components to/from Prefab Variants, but if I just Duplicate a prefab in the scene, I get the option to create an Original prefab instead of a variant. This has made managing prefabs, much easier for me, but is there a down side to doing things this way?

You can do it this way, but you won’t be taking advantage of the coolest feature of a Variant (also the most dangerous)

Suppose later on, you decide that all of your characters need a new component… If your player and your enemies are all variants of Character, then simply adding the component to Character will add it to the player and the enemy.

This can be an amazing time saver, and of course, without being careful it can also be a destructive tool… Nothing quite worse than Apply To Prefab Character a component you really only wanted on the Player.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms