Pre alpha phase

This is my pre-alpha phase and I want to create a game ready character from this but also use this for a killer portfolio piece, pose it and such. Is doing alphas, then retopology and then baking to a multires model better for portfolio and preserving detail or should I retopologize first and then do alphas on a high multires model?

5 Likes

I don’t think there is one correct workflow for this. Grant in the Character course did alphas before retopologizing (going down in remeshing size, he didn’t even used for this multires). I’ve seen some workflows that add multires without retopo even for details sculpting.

I would guess that what matters is the end result. And you can get to good end results in many ways.

3 Likes

I guess I’m just aiming to preserve as much detail as I can for a portfolio piece while also getting a functional character in the end. Wondering what’s the ideal way to do that. Thanks for the answer! :grin:

3 Likes

Backup current state and try both methods? :smiley:

IMO with good final retopology and good bake you will be able to preserve more detail than one could notice using both methods :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms