Portfolio - Advice

Hey all,

So I’m looking at the course “How To Get A Job In The Video Game Industry Online Course” and it’s really making me question my portfolio, which I have recently created in Unity.

I’m a game developer looking to get another job within the game industry.

My portfolio is: https://iamsamtc.com

TL;DR

So my question is… Would it be better to have a website rather than a game as a portfolio?

Most importantly, thank you for your time and effort responding.

More Detail

So a little context as my portfolio is a little different than most.

I vaguely remember seeing a portfolio which was a game X amount of years ago, and I thought that would be great to re-create as I could both show off my Unity skills and share my projects, I thought this also would be a great way to stick in the employers mind because the portfolio is different, most have a website.

However recently I’ve applied for a fair amount of jobs, and not heard back, though this could be because of the irrelevant projects on my portfolio (which I will be removing and replacing with games that I have created and released, as of recent times), experience and a variable amount of other aspects , I’m starting to think that it’s because employers just don’t have the time to sit and ‘play’ my portfolio game to find out more about me… which to be honest, is really sad, and I hope that they get more time in the future, but that’s another discussion.

I wonder instead of doing a game for a portfolio, whether I should go back to creating a website which lists all games, a summary of me etc. though I find this concept boring and very similar to all the other portfolio websites out there.

So my question is… Would it be better to have a website rather than a game as a portfolio?

If I were to create a website, it’s been a while since I’ve used any of the popular libraries such as React / Vue, so I may need to brush up on them, or I could take the approach as I did before and just use Bootstrap.

Most importantly, thank you for your time and effort reading and responding.

Ended up changing my portfolio to a website, but keeping the Unity Portfolio as an existing project.

Yes, it would generally be better to have a website as a portfolio rather than a game. While a game can uniquely showcase your Unity skills and creativity, many employers may lack the time to engage deeply with a game-based portfolio. A website is accessible, quick to navigate, and can effectively display your projects, skills, and relevant information at a glance. It also allows for easier updates and adaptations to target specific job opportunities. Consider using a blend of web technologies you’re comfortable with, like Bootstrap, or refreshing your knowledge on libraries like React or Vue, to create a professional and polished website portfolio.

Privacy & Terms