Portal Comparisons

Samples: 20 Render / 20 Preview without the Portal.

Same Samples with the Portal

Driving up the Samples (75/75) without:

then 75/75 with Portals:

It seems to offer a minor difference, but at a cost of Sample bumping.

1 Like

This is just my opinion, even though it looks rather grainy at the moment, I think playing around with your number of samples in your final project render may be to your advantage with this particular project. Depending how it renders out after you have it textured, you may want some of the graininess to give the environment a bit of an old used feel to the render. Again, it will depend on what you envision for your project.

1 Like

Thank you Morgaine. I was actually trying to think of methods to “age” this atmosphere. A bit of …“too much to keep up on look”… I read something a while back about overlaying a light grunge or 'worn". I am hoping we cover something like this later in the course.

Thanks again!

I haven’t completed this section yet due to a number of things so not sure what is covered. I believe you could do a grunge overlay in cycles but my cycles skills are not the best in the world so probably can’t help you much when it comes to adding it in Cycles. You might have to ask some of the forum users for some help on that. Me, I would probably do my render then take the render image into Gimp or Photoshop and add a grunge layer. My Photoshop skills are much better than my Cycles skills.

1 Like

Thank you for the inspiration Morgaine :grin:

1 Like

Why not adding some light sources from the ceiling?

1 Like

I made fluorescent light emission panels but had them shut off during this specific render FedPete.

Due to the graininess with a render of 100/100, I may put in a couple more portals and reduce the emission of the lights.

Thank you for the feedback.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms