Planet Base

I bought this some time ago but had been plagued with random crashes and display driver errors… however, yesterday afternoon I took my laptop to pieces, removed all the tiny screws, cleaned out all the dust, blasted the fan clear…

…I have just played 10 hours straight :smiley:

*BOOM*

Out of curiosity, have you tried Rimworld, or ever played Dwarf Fortress? I adore those two games and oftentime see similarities and references when I read reviews for PlanetBase. Yet to try it, though.

I had compatibility issues with a game I played last night. It’s the worst when you can’t progress due to some unforseen bug unique to your computer >: ( I hope that BOOM isn’t the sound of your computer exploding

Hey Sam,

Not tried those two no, although Rimworld I think I saw a link to on Steam. Planetbase has become more fun since I changed the approach to playing, it wasn’t overly obvious initially… one of those, if you build somethings in a bit of the wrong or, everyone starves to death, or runs out of oxygen… wh00ps… thankfully we didn’t lose to many intrepid explorers during my learning process… the biggest advance has been getting over this issue though and so thankful it was, seemingly, something as simple as de-dusting the inside of the laptop! As you say, there’s nothing really a lot less fun than trawling the web for answers to a seemingly unique issue and reading things like “I ended up wiping my PC, reinstall Windows and no it works”… yeah, those days are long gone… hehe… I don’t have the time or patience to sit there through all of that! :smiley:

hehe… nope, *BOOM* was the sound of something positive occurring in my day… don’t worry if it scared you though, it won’t appear often! :wink:

Thanks for the mention of the other two games, I’ll check them out :slight_smile:

Rimworld is pretty expensive right now, but Dwarf Fortress is free forever, but you’re really falling into the deep end; the big Daddy of the genre. But they’re as good as they get if you like resource-based settlement games, both with really good combat systems.

I’m a big strategy buff, heh!

1 Like

I used to really enjoy the Age of Empires series, perhaps a bit simplistic on the resource gathering aspect compared to these but they were great fun. Planet Base appealed possibly because of my recent enjoyment of The Martian film and book, plus the graphics looked very pretty.

As with all games I have found myself going “grrr” a few times and asking myself, out loud, whilst sitting in a dark room, on my own… why they made it do that… but I guess they didn’t design the game with my specific, and at that time, unknown, requirements to hand… It has been suggested recently that the Earth doesn’t revolve around me… imagine my surprise… :smiley:

Case in point - at the start of the game you get a few different “types” of people who step out of their space ship (it’s quite a cool scene actually) - you then need to build an oxygen generator (a small room/building that makes oxygen!), after that you can connect an air lock to it - now they can walk inside and breathe (they die real fast if you don’t do this!)…

Now… being that they just built the oxygen generator room, I find myself asking why it was necessary to add an airlock to get inside it… could have built it from the inside! I try to put that aside… but what really grinds my gears is that fact that as you spread out across a planet your rooms/buildings have to be linked with other existing buildings… so when the terrain gets in the way what you cant do is go plop an oxygen generator room/building down and add an airlock to it…

WHOOAAA!! HOLD THE PHONE!!! YOU JUST MADE ME DO THAT AT THE START OF THE GAME!!!

If I can do it once, there shouldn’t really be any reason to not be able to do it again, unless, you are trying to deliberately force the player to connect all of their buildings together… grrrr…

That aside there are so many other enjoyable bits in the game I can, I suppose, get over it… maybe… at some point in the future… grrrr… :slight_smile:

That does seem like a pretty big oversight xD Probably easier to track the flow of resources when all the segments are connected to each other, but it should probably allow you to build seperate buildings :open_mouth: Not everything needs to be attached to the main complex.

There’s so many good space strategy games out there now. I am, currently, having a bit of fun with Stellaris. Going into an online game in progress, forging alliances with all the NPC aliens in the games and then going back offline, leaving the active players to deal with the new AI super-federation is a fun time ;D It’s one of the more sophisticated forms of griefing lol.

In Age of Empires, whilst the buildings weren’t obviously connected, you could at a later stage create another town centre, something similar to this would have been a good idea, but maybe should have not been the oxygen generator.

Ooh, I saw stellaris listed on Steam the other day too… hehe, sounds like a good laugh… lol… there’s always one! :smiley:

In Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress you can build wherever you want (as long as it’s 2 squares inside of the map boundaries.) But uh, it’s quite dangerous to build away from the main compound because you have to split your military. At least in Planetbase there’s no combat, so you won’t be hard-pressed in making decisions like that.

As far as resource games go, I would implore you to stay far, far away from Gnomoria, Towns, and DF-9. These games are sub-par Dwarf Fortress clones and are, for the most part, unfinished and unfun.

(EDIT) Well I thought there was no combat in Planetbase but I just noticed one of the classes is “GUARD”, so, shows how much I know about it lol.

These sound good, I will check out the Dwarf Fortress one first, I like free :slight_smile:

hehe, yeah, once you open your base to visitors you sometimes get some undesirables that start shooting up the place, and all you colonists… quite funny watching all the colonists turning on them in hand to hand combat though… lol

Updated Tue Dec 13 2016 21:36

Discovered this evening that Planet Base is made with Unity… lol… who knew! I found it interesting that the entire save game file is unencrypted… might have a little play with that later, it’s all in xml so fairly easy to tell what’s what… the only thing that looks like it’s been modified in anyway are quantities of resources which have been turned, I think, into a byte array - again, easy to test the theory…

If this is successful, it may be a very long time before my base is hit by a meteor again! lol

1 Like

Privacy & Terms