Pioneer Delta Level Design

So I’m not thrilled with this, though I’ve definitely found that design is not my strong suit. All the levels are basically “start low, go over something, and then come back down”. After 3 levels of that, I tried to switch it up for the last two. The last level features what’s SUPPOSED to be ominous hanging moss with less ‘natural’ type obstacles and more looking created by something as a hint towards what the next five levels would be, but it just looks like someone blew their nose on the screen. BTW, the brighter orange is stuff you can run into. All the darker stuff is background (with collision boxes removed anyway just to be safe). Also, my boosters aren’t showing up because they only show up when I click the rocket in the list of assets. I did build it just to see if it worked there, and it’s fine. All in all, it’s FINE. The design is butt, but I knew I wasn’t gonna be good at that part anyway. I typed that all as an explanation, thinking I could attach video, but that’s a no. Let’s see if I can attach 5 pictures instead!

5 Likes

It is very difficult to make something completely different each level. You have this sort of bias were you think the level should go that you end up making the same levels.

You should check out Max Pears Level Design Lobby Book: https://gumroad.com/a/100856947
He is a level designer at CD Projekt Red.

Also check this out: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TomPugh/20181022/329044/Level_Design_Tips_and_Tricks.php

3 Likes

Oooo, super helpful! That’s exactly what my brain was doing, so the resources are much appreciated!

I like your style. Also what is that thing on the ceiling in the last picture? it is from an asset pack or just usual game objects?

1 Like

I just stretched out a few circles, stuck 'em together, gave 'em a sickly green color, and packed 'em into a prefab (3 hangythings per single prefab). I just wanted something quick and easy that’d look reminiscent of hanging moss. I also removed the collision from them because I just wanted them to be there for atmosphere, they’re not actually obstacles or anything.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms