Pillar Details - Double Vertices/Geometry?

I’ve started to put the bevels onto the other two pillars.
I originally duplicated them and made them slightly different but I think that introduced something that messes up my pillars.

Looks like this.

2 Likes

Well first off it looks like you have double geometry on that pillar. A common beginner problem.

From an save before the bevelling.
Select the pillar, in edit mode, press A to select all, Then press M and chose ‘by distance’ from the options.
This usually clears up most double geometry.
Then try the bevelling again, careful not to pull them out too big, just little bevels.

2 Likes

I did the by distance part. It didn’t change anything.
Odd because it worked on the first pillar, but not on the duplicates.

I tried it again, but any bevel anywhere does that.

1 Like

Yeah, I have trouble with the bevel as well. I’m assuming that you’re using vertex beveling. By default blender uses offset. I prefer percentage. You can change this. So after you start the bevel look at the status bar you will see were it says M with type (Offset). Press M until Offset changes to percentage. This is a mater of preference. Now in your case it looks like you have overlap. You can clap the over lap by pressing C. You can see if it’s on or off in the status bar. If you don’t like hotkeys you can start the bevel then left click. Then expand the last operator box in the bottom left hand corner of the 3D viewport. It has all the same option. you can adjust the offset or change it to percentage and adjust it. You can also check Clamp Overlap. You can even do custom profiles and change the number of segments. I do think it’s the overlap. I could be wrong.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms