Performance took a nose dive after duplicating the metahuman guard

More of an observation, but getting to the part where we add the 2nd guard and noise distraction, the moment I duplicated the original guard my level editor performance went downhill super hard. I can still ‘fly’ around the level with the camera just fine, but moving the metahuman player and enemy objects in the level editor now has several seconds of delay/lag (for example trying to use the transform tool on a metahuman object in the level editor). I can move other objects around just fine though

I’ll have to fix this, because it’s so bad I don’t think I’ll be able to complete the tutorial without things taking 20x longer from this point forward.

I tried updating graphic drivers, reboot, etc. I think it has something to do with the metahuman characters, but not sure. Deleting the duplicate BP_EnemyGuard2 didn’t change anything.

My computer specs:
Windows 11 Pro
64Gb DDR4
Nvidia RTX 3090
AMD Ryzen 9 5800x

I found some interesting results while changing the LOD settings for all my metahumans.

My player character was defaulted to 8 max LOD, but was set to automatically change. When I dropped it down to 4, forced 4 LOD, all of the gameplay stutters went away. But I still had stutters in the level editor when manipulating other metahumans.

So I tried dropping both the player character and the enemy to LOD 1 forced, and it’s a LOT smoother in the editor now, but still stuttery/slower than it was with just 1 metahuman.

Weird thing is the editor was fine with the original player character metahuman and enemy metahuman at their default LOD (8 for player and 1 for enemy). The moment I duplicated the enemy metahuman and added them to the level, ever since then performance has tanked. Even removing the 3rd metahuman from the level the performance remains the same/poor.

I really think this is all tied to the metahumans somehow.

Changin the engine scalability settings does nothing for performance. I can set it to low or high, makes no difference.

Keep in mind that Metahumans are still considered an experimental feature and that there are going to be issues. That said, I don’t have anything else to suggest that you haven’t already tried.

Privacy & Terms