Performance issues (OpenXR), broken device simulator bindings

Hi,

i managed to get it running using OpenXR and SteamVR, in VR i noticed poor performance (~30 fps) and high CPU frame times using a Ryzen 7 5800X and a RTX 4080.

Checking google, people recommended to use the Oculus Provider. Changing to it broke my Device Simulator, not working bindings with the following error:

A screenshot of the Simulator UI itself:

Attempting to revert back to OpenXR and getting rid of the Oculus Provider didn’t fix my broken Simulator bindings.

Another annoying issue i encountered is that SteamVR gets started automatically and boots up my HMD even with the Simulator enabled.

Hi,

As we dont use steam VR in this course i cannot really advise on that side of things so you may need to dive into the documents for that and see if you can find out how to prevent it starting up.
It seems something in the Oculus Provider has broken something in the input system and again as we did not need to use it i cant really tell you how to resolve this issue.

What i would do at this point however is download our project from the resources and try setting it up again and see if you encounter the same issue with the input system and see how you go from there.

Thanks for the reply, i managed to get it to a working state again using OpenXR, bindings are back but performance issues are still there.

It should’ve been mentioned in the course description that the main device we use for this course is a Quest / Meta hardware or the intro section should be updated to cover cases for SteamVR hardware too.

Building the whole project and running it outside the editor results in fine performance, but i still didn’t figure out how to make it work fine in the editor itself.

I actually managed to fix my performance issue by setting Play Mode OpenXR Runtime to SteamVR and getting 1ms frame times this way now in the unity editor.

I also found a fix that works for now to not automatically start SteamVR in case of play mode, disabling Initialize XR on Startup prevents SteamVR from starting (I have to enable it again when i want to test in VR)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms