Passion project questions for ela

dear teachers and instructurs I have this passion project about game development and I need to interview people I was wondering if you guys who have experience could answer my questions

1. How should I deal with stress and not over expect things for my game

2. How should I prototype a game good and get good reviews

3. How do I take good screenshots of my game to help market

4. Any tips for indie game developers to make it more manageable

5. How do I find motivation when I run out or should I find self discipline

thanks

Hi Andrew,

Some great questions here and although i havent released a game myself i wanted to make sure you got a reply.

1. Game Design Document, Plan what you want to do in your game before you even start coding. Start small and build upon it and think of it as a living breathing entity of your game. We cover this in our RPG series.
    Also make sure to take breaks and i dont mean just go make a cup of coffee, Go outside for a walk as often coding solutions or even ideas will present themselves whilst you are outside and away from the situation itself. If you find yourself getting stressed this will affect the work you are doing and only serve to make the process more painful and feel like you want to give up.

2. Prototyping a game is the base game with the simple mechanics, You can build more on this later and usually prototypes are for yourself or a publisher to see your idea and where you are heading.
    Reviews will come when you are at an alpha stage where most of the mechanics are complete and refined and you are then moving on to adding further features to the game.

3. Make them interesting! Cut scenes are a great way to do this and we have a unity course coming up soon looking at cinematic cut scenes and how to get the best camera views and lighting to present things in game but these can serve you well as screen shots as well.

4. As i have mention before a GGD and planning your work out before hand can save you a ton of time and effort. I often use a trello board when making something which is the digital equivalent of sticky paper on a wall and ordering tasks in order of need and difficulty. Organisation is key!

5. We actually have a course on this as well although the name escapes me right now that deals with how to get unblocked but again taking a break is a good idea. Also talking to a friend or relative about where you are stuck and where you are trying to go with your game is a good idea, Even if they dont understand game development sounding out the issue can often trigger solutions in your own head or they may have a suggestion on where to go next.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Finish It! Motivation & Processes For Game Developers

I’ve only heard good things about this one, and I like what I see when I look through the course outline =)

2 Likes

you know what I might just ask for that course when I enter the game jam, thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms