Parenting Caved in Body

Tried parenting Bones to body and it Caved in in Object and pose mode ?

In edit mode it looks Ok

The spine and neck bones seen to have dropped down for some reason ?
Then when I Clear Parent from Body the arm bones pop out :woozy_face:

Problem Solved : Dont move Bones around in Pose Mode

ie.( GY and move )… The movement doesent carry over into Edit Mode and bones will flip back into Edited position in edit mode .

Changes in Pose Mode will also be in Object Mode but Flip back to Original in Edit Mode .

1 Like

I’m hoping this is just a typo =)

The body is parented to the armature, not the other way around. A little counter-intuitive maybe, but the reason for this is that the animation data lives on the armature, and the mesh just blindly follows that like a marionette.

Watch Grant’s procedure very carefully in this section, as setting up an armature with IK and parenting is one area in Blender that has no room for experimentation. Straying from the steps Grant shows will almost certainly mess things up (not to say there aren’t options and settings of course, but I’m talking about the base procedure of making an armature work).

If you feel it would help your understanding, don’t be afraid to go back and practice on the snake a few times. Maybe even give your snake an arm or two so you can see how that changes things. This will at least take Subdivision Surface out of the equation so you can see more clearly that you’ve got the armature working as intended.

2 Likes

To start with you need to go back and check everything. Like normals are the right way round. That rotations and scales are applied. Origins are in the right places. Pose position is not moved form the resting state.

2 Likes

Hi , It was just a Typo . I was parenting Body to Bones …I guess id better go back and start from an earlier point … If that dont work then ill go see what the Snakes up to :wink:
I think I had the origins ticked when they shouldnt have been …
Had a break and ready for a fresh Start :+1:

1 Like

Hi , Ok ill take another look at it . It seemed to be origin related .Origin kept popping back n forth …2nd time lucky hopefully :+1: I forgot how one checks the Normals ?

2 Likes

No problem, in the Viewport, in the Overlays dropdown, tick Face Orientation.

It does make sense that what you were experiencing was origin/transform-related. Remember that you can set the origin with RMB–>Set Origin–>Origin To Geometry.

3 Likes

Problem Solved : Dont move Bones around in Pose Mode

ie.( GY and move )… The movement doesent carry over into Edit Mode and bones will flip back into Edited position in edit mode .
Changes in Pose Mode will also be in Object Mode but Flip back to Original in Edit Mode .

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms