Orc retopology

Hey everyone,

I’ve been using blender for 3 months now and I really like it! I love to make characters and the character course from Grant Abbitt is absolutely amazing so far. I did stopped for a while when I was at the retopology section. I saw that Grant didn’t go into much details about retopology (understandable, because it’s a hard and long process) but it did dissappointed me a little bit, because I do want to know how I can retopo the right way. So I did some research and finally came up with this retopology.

I’m not going for a game character but rather a detailed portfolio piece. I would also like to animate a walk cycle.

I would love to get some feedback before going on. Let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile: !

Gearreld_orc_retopology_5|545x500

1 Like

I think in some places too much mesh (horns, fist) others too few (cloth).
In the area where you expect to bend stuff, you’ve added more loops. A good idea, but I don’t think they are in the right dimension. Also, there are no extra loops for the armpit, but halfway the upper arm.
Faces in a good topology are square, to avoid stretching.

I think in theory i think, the poles are in the wrong place.

1 Like

Hi FedPete,

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I got a lot of tweaking to do. The horn and teeth might have a bit too much detail, is this a bad thing since this is more of a portfolio piece rather than a game character? The cloth is sculpted with a multires modifier and it will not be animated.

I will put some extra loop around the shoulder instead of the upper arm (stupid of me :sweat_smile:).
But I’m not sure what you mean with “the right dimension”…

I tried to placed the poles in the correct position by first blocking out all the edge loops. I can’t really tell which poles are incorrect at this point.

I would love to hear from you! Thanks for making my project better :muscle:

Some of us encountered a Cycles problem, where low poly causes artifacts. Sharp edges.

Ah I see, good to know. I will probably use EVEE but I will keep an eye out for it!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms