Orc in flesh

Ok, so since I already did texture painting with Blender through another course on the platform, and keeping up with trying to practice a bit beyond the course directives, I had a go at Substance Painter…
I wanted to tackle with realistic human skin painting + the layer approach, so this is what i got:

I still find Blender procedural appoach easier for procedural stuff (e.g. the eyes). And I also played with Blender’s newest hair system and assets.

And here is my orc, with his clothes and armor:

It’s been quite some work but it’s been fun. I found out there is an add-on to Blender (Layer Painter) to get the same kind of layered workflow within Blender so I’ll give it a try.

Next step now is rigging!

7 Likes

Very nice, and you’re right, that closeup of his eye shows just how nice it works.

I’ve never tried Substance Painter, but seeing how nice your Orc looks, I just might have to try it out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you @Miss_B for the feedback !

I enjoyed working with Substance Painter: the layer-based workflow is really interesting.
For example, when trying to create a pseudo-realistic material, you have to think of the structure and history of the real-life material/object and translate each step of that structure/history into a layer…

However, it is a complementary approach to procedural texture. This orc’s eyes themselves for instance are actually 80% full Blender (I know Substance Designer is the procedural-based twin of Substance Painter but I already knew how to do it with Blender so… :relaxed:)

2 Likes

I know it’s been awhile but I’m new to the blender - substance workflow. How did you get the orc from blender to substance? I am exporting as fbx and opening in substance and hooking up the normal map but what about the cavity map?

Hi!
Substance has its own map baking system (and I personnaly find it much easier than baking with vanilla Blender) so you may not need to use maps baked with Blender.

Hence, you just need to export your low-poly as fbx, then upon opening it in substance, run ‘Bake Mesh Maps’ in the texture set settings.

To get proper maps, I exported the fbx of my high-poly to use it in substance for the baking.
I also exported a cage (a copy of my low-poly inflated so that it just fully includes my high-poly)

Hope it helps…

1 Like

amazing work! definitely makes me want to up my skills

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms