Orc - Armour Sculpt

Took a couple days off to visit family, but was glad to come home and finish this guy off! Had way too much fun sculpting this, but looking forward to painting now. :slight_smile:

37 Likes

Great detail, that’s for sure. I look forward to seeing it painted. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The details are very high. I hope it will not disturb your next challenge, painting this monster project.
I think it’s your designers choice, not to add horns on the head? (no need for)

Can it be that the backside of the boots is not mirrored? No problem also.

An amazing project! I hope to see you finish it. Because the next steps are also very time-consuming. Retopologize all parts, UV-Mapping all parts. Baking this stuff. Then start painting with a lot of techniques.
I think you need 4K maps …

2 Likes

Thanks!

Yes, the high level of detail making the next parts more difficult was definitely one of my concerns while doing this. Thankfully I already have some knowledge and experience of how to retopologize from my “Sculpting is awesome” topic days lol, and am fairly familiar with UV unwrapping. So I’m feeling pretty confident I can pull it off.

Most of the armour will be fairly basic retopo work I think, and I noticed during my last retopo job that it didn’t matter so much about the amount of detail on your sculpt. What mattered the most was getting edge and face loops in the correct locations that make sense for the body/objects lines - and especially for UV unwrapping. Marking the seams properly is what i predict will cause me the most trouble… and I agree that I will probably end up using 4k maps. After all, why cheap out now after doing all this detail :crazy_face:

Either way I look forward to the challenge and the learning opportunities it brings! Besides… my goal is to get as much detail in as possible, and push my skills and knowledge to the limit!

Edit: I think you are right about the boots! I can’t believe I missed that haha, thanks for pointing it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1: :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Wow this is looking great! Nice work. Can’t wait to see more.

1 Like

Thanks man!, about to start retopo soon. Hopefully all goes as planned and I can get to the painting soon!

An awesome piece of work and a lot of engaging hours. Amazing !!!

Great project.

Hey, thanks guys. :slight_smile: I’ve been slacking off over the summer, but I recently updated and posted it on sketchfab. Here’s a link if you want to take a look at the “Finished” version.

16 Likes

Amazing details, even when you zoom in.
Stitches, fist knuckles, teeth, veins, chains, muscle structure, loincloth, scars. all in high detail.
It’s a mean-looking dude!
So much work.

For me, maximum of :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much!

I’ve been studying some of the best (In my opinion) models on sketchfab and the like, trying to understand how those people managed to create such amazing work, and how I can emulate it. It’s truly amazing how much effort and time some of these artists must put into their work, just like you say with stitches, teeth, scars, buckles, jewelry etc, all of this takes a lot of time and hard work. This orc is kinda there, but still needs more work to truly come close to rivaling those great artworks! Hopefully my next characters will be even more detailed!

Thanks again eh :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am amazed by the detailing you gave to character. Truly an awesome piece of art. I can feel the veins you gave to the character. The belts lion’s cloth and every bone is just beautifully sculpted. Loved it :heart_eyes:.

1 Like

Amazing detail and proportions! Great work! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Absolutely amazing.
Great quality, could be a Warcraft Orc/ Warhammer Fantasy Ork

1 Like

This looks amazing! I’m still sculpting, but this is something to aspire to.

2 Likes

This is insane. Simply insane. “Look at the eyes”

1 Like

Thanks everyone!, I really appreciate all the compliments! :smiley: Brutus was definitely a passion project that took a fair amount of time to sculpt/model(Considering everything was still fairly new to me back then), but was a lot of fun to do! And that’s the key, FUN! (Although, it’s almost an addiction for me now lol).

I hope everyone’s studying and projects (Orcs??) are going well! Sadly, I don’t visit the Gamedev.tv forums as often as I should/used to since I finished most of the 3d modeling courses… I mostly inhabit sketchfab nowadays, always pushing my skills and sharing work for free there… but I do pop onto the forum once every while to check out other students progress and get inspiration from everyone else’s projects too! You all are awesome ~ Gamedev student 4 life!

2 Likes

Welcome back WofaC!

1 Like

Thanks man, I’m around haha. Might even take that new drawing course from Grant Abbitt soon… Hope you’ve been well, and all your renders have been fast and clean!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms