One question

I want to ask you an one thing.
Low poly modeling is for game asset, right? But, its means, it is for collider or, for item in game world itself?
For example this piece of chees (pawn) is low poly, but if I will see this low poly object in game, its look like amateur work.
So, am I right if I think that I can use in my game nice and smooth pawn figure with more details and this low poly monster I just need for collider, or I need this low poly monster in my game like a playing piece?

I hope, you understand :slight_smile:

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Better Pawn here

1 Like

Amateur or not, sometimes low-poly is all that’s needed. It depends on the game. Look at some older games from early 2000s, and you’ll find that many are low-poly. You could smooth it out and make it work. That’s a way to go. Some game engines support shaders and what not, so low-poly is not a problem.

I’m not sure what you mean about the collider. Unity, for example, can generate colliders for a mesh without having to bring in a collider mesh. Feel free to elaborate/ask more if I can be of help.

Remember, the more polygons you go, the harder it is on the hardware. You want as low poly with as little detail loss, and, as I said, sometimes low-poly is the way to go. It all depends on what you’re trying to do. Generally, though, sculpted objects (in the “Fluffy Bunny” sections) can be very high poly and you may want to simplify that because render times get very long. You’ll learn as you go. Don’t rush it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer :slight_smile: I understand now better.

The low-polly is just the style, you could use a high def version with just a low polly collider, but that’s up to the art style, low-polly can look amateurish if you don’t do it right, but can look great if you know how to use the art style, like this for example:
https://www.sessions.edu/wp-content/uploads/low-poly-character-dinges.jpg

1 Like

Privacy & Terms