Ogg not working

I’m seeing a SFX_Explosion_Simple.ogg file in the resources for this lecture but I wasn’t able to drag it into Unity.

When I dropped it into the windows folder directly it showed up via the Unity project window but when I try to drag it over the Explosion gameobject the mouse cursor says no. Has this file changed?

Thanks

Hi Marcus,

Drag and drop the file into your Assets folder. Make sure it is unzipped. Once it is in your assets folder, try to drag it into your scene. Did this work?

Hi Nina, I wasn’t able to drag and drop the ogg file from the resources folder into the Assets folder in Unity, however I did find a workaround.

i.e. Double click on the ogg file, click on the … to the right of the sound and choose download, copy the file it downloads (which is called original.ogg) into the asset folder and then I’m able to drag that file from Assets to the Explosion gameobject to instantiate an audio source component.

It’s interesting that you mention unzipping it, perhaps my Windows 10 doesn’t recognise zipped ogg files.

Anyway thanks for the help, I’m surprised that I’m the only one having an issue with this.

If the filename extension is .zip, you’ll have to unzip the file first because Unity cannot process zips.

Hi Nina,

In the Resources of Part 94 of the 3D course “Explosion Particles & SFX” the file is SFX_Explosion_Simple.ogg

It feels like an archived file but is named as an ogg file.

The ogg should work. Theoretically. I would recommend to download and test it again because Udemy had issues with the downloads a couple of days ago and provided the wrong files.

Another thing you could check: Do you have the right codecs to be able to play the ogg? Test the ogg in another program like the Windows Media Player or the VLC player or whatever you use when you are listening to music.

I can confirm that the ogg file works now.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Awesome. Did you do anything or did it suddenly work?

It just suddenly worked, I’m assuming that Udemy fixed their file extension issue.

That’s very likely and fairly common. I’m glad the sound is working now. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms