Odd Timeline Behavior

Wrapping up the Argaon Assault section of the 3D Unity course and I’m encountering an issue when my timeline elements are repopulating at the end of the timeline.

So even though I’ve already passed the section where Slackbar talks, he pops up again (no sound) and my enemy ship wave also reappears, but is colliding with a mountain where it ended up and the ships fly all spiral off into the distance as a result.

I’ve checked and there’s no instance of them reappeaing in the timeline. Is this normal behavior? Do I need to somehow turn them off? Or is this unusual and a bug?

Okay if anyone else encounters this issue, I believe I’ve found the answer to my own question.

When adding elements to the timeline (such as the Slackbar Image) make sure you click on them and view them in the inspector. This will give you a window similar to this:

You’ll want that “Post Playback” dropdown to be “Inactive” as shown in the screenshot. You might also use Active, but that would just leave the game objects in place and still visible. Inactive will deactivate the objects which means they won’t be dragging on your framerate or visible/interacting with the world.

Mine were on “Revert” which seems to be the default option and basically will cause the kinds of unusual behavior I was seeing. Switching this setting to “Inactive” seems to have solved my problem.

Here’s the Unity article about how it works as of Timeline 1.8.4:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.timeline@1.8/manual/insp-clip-control.html

Hope this helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms