Objects disappeared from Layout view in Blender

Hello,
I was working on a scene in the Layout view in Render when some objects disappeared. They still appear in other views (Modeling, Sculpting, Animation, Rendering…), but I cannot figure out why they remain invisible in Layout, which is a real problem.

I have checked the visibility in the outliner and everything looks normal there.

I am adding a screenshot in case it helps.

Thank you very much for your help!

They’re likely hidden. Try these:

• Alt + H to unhide anything hidden (H will hide whatever is selected at the time. Very helpful for hiding parts of a model to work on hard-to-reach areas).
  • / to toggle isolation view (unlikely to be this one in this case, but it does something similar and it worth including here).
4 Likes

Thank you for trying, I already tried that but it does not seem to work.

And the elements are visible everywhere else… and marked as visible in the outliner… so I don’t know where else to look. I can even access those objects from another view, but they are not visible everywhere. Any idea where this could be set up?

1 Like

Interesting. If you press num-period, my assumption would be that the camera would zoom toward where these objects should be, which would indicate that they are still there. I’m also assuming that if you click in the dropdowns of the Outliner objects you’ve circled, you will be able to see the individual meshes (green triangle icon) that the objects are composed of.

If you can see these objects in other workspaces, it seems very unlikely that a viewport setting could be responsible, since other workspaces also use the 3D Viewport. Still, I would probably add a fresh Layout Workspace to the top bar and check just to see if something janky happened to the other one. I know these are instanced because my set of workspaces includes a DoubleLayout, and it doesn’t interfere with the default Layout workspace at all, so it remains a small possibility.

Bearing in mind that I have no idea what sort of project you were working on (and therefore whether the following is relevant), the next thing I would try is switching to Wireframe mode and disconnecting your materials and modifiers. My thinking is that maybe there’s some element of your scene that doesn’t play nice with cycles, or the reverse. Either way, as you temporarily strip elements away from these objects, you’re eventually going to arrive at a visible base case that gives you at least a slight idea of what happened.

Worse comes to worst, you could always try appending the objects to a new file, but I would be very surprised if that had any impact. I hope you find a solution, because other than setting the material alphas to 0, I’m not sure how I could go about reproducing this.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. This was still a very simple model with some flat colours assigned to materials, and some mirroring.

Now I discovered that if I go to the Outliner, and copy the problematic items from inside the “Collection” folder to another folder or outside any folders, the copies appear in the Layout view again. If I copy them once again back to the “Collection” folder just to give it a try, they remain visible. Just moving the objects outside the folder does not work. Copying the objects has solved the issue for the moment.

Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

Very strange. Well, at least you got it sorted! =)

3 Likes

Maybe TAB Object > Visibility > Show in ?
You probably hit a strange hotkey combination. Difficult to say which one.

Open new .blend file and FILE > APPEND the invisible object in the new file.
If visible, append the rest

3 Likes

This is what I’m thinking too. Happens to the best of us =)

2 Likes

I had this too at one point. If I recall correctly, Grant mentioned this as well, and toggling Lock Object Mode might fix it. It didn’t work in my case.

In the end I deleted the wonky workspace. Right click on the workspace’s name you want to delete, then delete it.

Now, add the same workspace again

This creates a new modeling workspace, using the default settings.

Fixed it for me.

ps: And yes, sometimes I accidentally hit a key combo and then things go south.

4 Likes

Thank you very much! :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms